Teesside to leeds for tour de yorkshire sportive

k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s Posts: 266
Doing tour de yorkshire sportive in a few weeks. Travelling down from stockton with my gear day before with bike loaded with panniers. Ive olotted out a flat route but unsure of how busy some if the roads are that i havent been on before.

Heres the route:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29693469

Can anyone with lical knowledge let me know if this is ok or not? Also if i can tweek it to make it a better ride i would appreciate the suggestions!

Comments

• hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    edited April 2019
    I live in Wetherby.

Your route looks sensible, from Boroughbridge you could take the A168 all the way to Wetherby. The A168 runs directly alongside the A1 (but lower than the A1 so you don't feel like you are next to the A1 as such). Would be a bit more direct and is a nice flat, fast route - quite quiet most of the time as most big/commercial traffic takes the A1.

The 5 mile stretch on the A168 down to Walshford is the v212 10 mile timetrial course.

There is a small business park and cafe on the left hand side of the A168 (5 miles north of Walshford) if you need a stop around that time - this is the point on the A168 that the V212 TT course starts.
    http://www.rabbithillpark.co.uk/news/th ... ness-park/
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    At the mile 6 marker, that's not actually a road, you would ned to carry on to Low Worsall and onto Appleton Wiske from there (no extra mileage), Roads are all good cycling roads from Appleton Wiske to Northallerton, You've taken the quick route from Northallerton to Leeds. If you want quieter more cycle friendly roads I would advise
    Northallerton - Leeming - Burneston - Kirklington - Wath - Hutton Conyers - Ripon - Bishop Monkton - Burton Leonard - Farnham - Knaresborough, then head towards your 52 mile marker at Kirk Deighton (as we're getting out of my area now ;)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • k3vinjam3s
    Hairy Boy wrote:
    I live in Wetherby.

Your route looks sensible, from Boroughbridge you could take the A168 all the way to Wetherby. The A168 runs directly alongside the A1 (but lower than the A1 so you don't feel like you are next to the A1 as such). Would be a bit more direct and is a nice flat, fast route - quite quiet most of the time as most big/commercial traffic takes the A1.

The 5 mile stretch on the A168 down to Walshford is the v212 10 mile timetrial course.

There is a small business park and cafe on the left hand side of the A168 (5 miles north of Walshford) if you need a stop around that time - this is the point on the A168 that the V212 TT course starts.
    http://www.rabbithillpark.co.uk/news/th ... ness-park/

Thanks for advice. I wasnt too sure if the A168 may be too busy or even too dull. Ill more than likely take it now so thank you.
  • k3vinjam3s
    At the mile 6 marker, that's not actually a road, you would ned to carry on to Low Worsall and onto Appleton Wiske from there (no extra mileage), Roads are all good cycling roads from Appleton Wiske to Northallerton, You've taken the quick route from Northallerton to Leeds. If you want quieter more cycle friendly roads I would advise
    Northallerton - Leeming - Burneston - Kirklington - Wath - Hutton Conyers - Ripon - Bishop Monkton - Burton Leonard - Farnham - Knaresborough, then head towards your 52 mile marker at Kirk Deighton (as we're getting out of my area now ;)

I didnt even look at the beginning of the route but to northallerton i know the roads well so wouldnt have been going down that dirt track the sat navs send people down near yarm.

The quickest route is what im after. Want an easier day so i can recover for the sportive the day after.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    k3vinjam3s wrote:

I didnt even look at the beginning of the route but to northallerton i know the roads well so wouldnt have been going down that dirt track the sat navs send people down near yarm.

The quickest route is what im after. Want an easier day so i can recover for the sportive the day after.
    Ah sorry misread the title, in that case the Leeds train from Northallerton Station ;)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • k3vinjam3s
    k3vinjam3s wrote:

Ah sorry misread the title, in that case the Leeds train from Northallerton Station ;)

Thats plan b if its a silly 20mph southerly wind. Although be getting the train at thornaby station not northallerton.
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    The A58 out of Collingham (south of Wetherby) is quite a busy road, I would defo turn right along the A659 from Collingham then turn left onto Crabtree Lane and through East Keswick, then onto your route of Wike Lane.
  • k3vinjam3s
    Hairy Boy wrote:
    The A58 out of Collingham (south of Wetherby) is quite a busy road, I would defo turn right along the A659 from Collingham then turn left onto Crabtree Lane and through East Keswick, then onto your route of Wike Lane.

Considered that when making route so will edit accordingly. Many thanks!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    k3vinjam3s wrote:
    k3vinjam3s wrote:

Thats plan b if its a silly 20mph southerly wind. Although be getting the train at thornaby station not northallerton.
    Chances are that it will be a South Westerly given that they usually are the majority of the time.
  • k3vinjam3s
    Webboo wrote:
    k3vinjam3s wrote:
    k3vinjam3s wrote:

Chances are that it will be a South Westerly given that they usually are the majority of the time.

Yes no doubt just hopefully not too strong. Obviously a northernly would be good.