Time to upgrade stock tubeless tyres

scotthunter
scotthunter Posts: 140
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I have a Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 (2018) and I am looking for a speed upgrade. Currently considering options for upgrading the tyres that came with the bike.

I am currently rolling on Giant's own brand Gavia Race 1 25mm tubeless (307g) on Giant's own SLR 1 carbon rims (1380g for pair). They feel ok, but have limited experience so nothing to really compare them with.

Firstly, would a tyre upgrade offer any performance benefits and if so, which tubeless tyre would work best with these rims? Bearing in mind I would take any new tyres to my LBS to get them professionally fitted. I've been looking at tubeless tyres from Continental, Schwalbe and Giant's own, higher end offerings. Is it purely down to weight or is the type of rubber compound more important? Obviously I got a racing bike so performance is more a priority for me than durability.

Also, how often are you supposed to change the sealant? I've had the same sealant in since I brought it a year ago and haven't had any punctures yet (touch wood).

Many thanks.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    For tubeless tyres look no further than IRC roadlites available from thecycleclinic.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Same wheels on partners Liv, replaced the stock Giant tyres with Pirelli Cinturato, fairly good rolling resistance, not the lightest but good puncture resistance . . . the other option was GP5000 TL with almost the least rolling resistance of any clincher, but couldn’t get hold of any at the time . . .
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Hutchinson Galaktic would get my vote.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    rafletcher wrote:
    Hutchinson Galaktic would get my vote.
    Same.
  • nicleza
    nicleza Posts: 30
    Hello,

Also, how often are you supposed to change the sealant? I've had the same sealant in since I brought it a year ago and haven't had any punctures yet (touch wood).

Many thanks.

My LBS says I should have a sealant check every two weeks. I also have Giant wheels with Gaviatyres.
  • shing83
    shing83 Posts: 61
    I've run IRC Formula Pro 28s which were ace. I've replaced them since with the Cinurato but only because I was looking for bigger tyres and these came in 35s. If the Formula Pro cam in 35mm no question it's what I'd be riding.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Hutchinson Fusion 5's are decent tyres and don't cost as much as other tubeless tyres. Lots of grip and seemingly not too much rolling resistance.
    I've done about 2,500km on my current set and they're starting to round off, should have some life left in them.

With regards to the sealant, I check mine every 3 months or so.
  • scotthunter
    scotthunter Posts: 140
    I have narrowed it down to these three (all 25mm):

Hutchinson FUSION 5 GALACTIK - 250g
    Schwalbe Pro One - 255g
    Continental GP5000 TL - 295g

Looking at weight difference, is the GP5000 going to be a slower tyre with it being slightly heavier than the other two, or is the rolling resistance more important? The GP5000 is still lighter than my Gavia Race 1 but only by 12 grams.
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    The GP5000 TL is the second fastest tyre tested here: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... 00-tl-2018

Weight is irrelevant.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I have narrowed it down to these three (all 25mm):

Hutchinson FUSION 5 GALACTIK - 250g
    Schwalbe Pro One - 255g
    Continental GP5000 TL - 295g

Looking at weight difference, is the GP5000 going to be a slower tyre with it being slightly heavier than the other two, or is the rolling resistance more important? The GP5000 is still lighter than my Gavia Race 1 but only by 12 grams.

The Galactik is much more of a TT/Race tire than the other two and won't last as long.
    Grab the standard Fusion 5 instead.
  • The GP5000 TL is the second fastest tyre tested here: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... 00-tl-2018

Weight is irrelevant.

Id go with these, Corsa Speeds are too fragile
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • nicleza
    nicleza Posts: 30
    oxoman wrote:
    Swapped my gavia,s for IRC Formula pro tyres once they wore out.
    Nicleza I normally check mine annually or when a tyre is changed and certainly not every couple of weeks. Only thing I check that frequently is that nothing's stuck in the tyre and its up to pressure.

How long did they last?

Haha that's a big difference. I won't die of anxiety for not having them checked every two weeks then, but I think I will have them checked more often than once a year :).

What difference did you notice with the Formula pro Tyres compared to the Giant Gavia?