Mavic Kysrium SL wheelset

casatikid
casatikid Posts: 229
edited April 2019 in Road general
Hi, I have a fantastic set of Mavic Kysrium SL wheels on my bike. I’ve had them for about twelve years and they are still as true as the day I bought them.
However,I wish to upgrade from a 10 speed 53x39 to 11 speed 52x36 due to recent knee surgery.
Anyone know if the 11 speed will be compatible to these wheels?
Thanks.

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Can you explain in more detail what you mean?

Are you upgrading the entire groupset to 11speed?
    Are you talking about shimano or campagnolo?
    Are you adamant about going 11 speed?

Just thinking if it is just a question of making life easier for your knees, it would be a lot cheaper and simple to change to a compact chainset and adjust the cassette.

Otherwise, it's hard to tell exactly. Best bet is upload a photo of the wheel and closeup of any serial numbers on the freehub to see if it's compatible, or ask someone for a knackered 11sp cassette and see if it fits.

If, in the worst case scenario, it is not compatible, one option would be to buy a campagnolo freehub and put an 11sp cassette on it, as Shimano and Campag 11sp are 100% cross compatible.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    just try a cassette and see what happens.

If it fits, it fits, cool.

if it doesn't its only taken 5 minutes of your life.

Doesn't even have to be the cassette in the size you want - just try any old 11 speed cassette - LBS should have one in the bin you can use or order/buy one form the LBS, try it and if it doesn't work send/take it back.

Offhand, I think I fitted an 11 speed to an Aksium of roughly the same vintage and it worked fine if that helps. Same freewheel as far as I know.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • casatikid
    casatikid Posts: 229

Just thinking if it is just a question of making life easier for your knees, it would be a lot cheaper and simple to change to a compact chainset and adjust the cassette.

Otherwise, it's hard to tell exactly. Best bet is upload a photo of the wheel and closeup of any serial numbers on the freehub to see if it's compatible, or ask someone for a knackered 11sp cassette and see if it fits.

If, in the worst case scenario, it is not compatible, one option would be to buy a campagnolo freehub and put an 11sp cassette on it, as Shimano and Campag 11sp are 100% cross compatible.

Hi, I’m wanting to keep Shimano. Just ordered one from my local bike shop and they are fitting it and said
    It will fit.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    After 12 years I would have thought the rim walls were getting a bit thin unless you never brake.
  • Matthewfalle
    brakes are for cowards

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,626
    Yes it will fit. Mavics came with a spacer behind 9 and 10 speed cassettes.
  • Webboo wrote:
    After 12 years I would have thought the rim walls were getting a bit thin unless you never brake.

He may only ride 100 miles a year
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    he may have not ridden them at all.

#possibilities

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Shimano 11-34 cassettes in 105 r7000 and Ultegra r8000 equivalents fit 10-speed freehubs, I believe... To fit on 11-speed road freehubs, you need to use the included spacer.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    11 speed will fit fine. You will be using the wide (1.5mm I think) spacer from Mavic with 10 speed but with 11 speed you don’t. It fits perfectly. I still use some Ksyrium SLs I got in 2006 or 7 (same ones as the anniversary version with all black rims, red hubs and carbon centre up front) with 11 speed with no trouble at all. I had to replace a few spokes that had corroded into the nipples last year but the rims are still ok! :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Webboo wrote:

My RS10s are coming up for 12 years old and the wear indicators are still visible. For the first 6 years I rode them year round, but then they went on the summer bike so see mainly dry roads now. I weigh 63kg, live in East Anglia and don't brake very much TBH, so the hubs will likely pack up before the rims wear out....
  • keef66
    CASATIKID wrote:
    However,I wish to upgrade from a 10 speed 53x39 to 11 speed 52x36 due to recent knee surgery....

Chapeau!

When I bought my first road bike at 50 and following knee surgery I specced a triple chainset!

One of the best decisions I've ever made...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    keef66 wrote:
    CASATIKID wrote:
    However,I wish to upgrade from a 10 speed 53x39 to 11 speed 52x36 due to recent knee surgery....

Chapeau!

When I bought my first road bike at 50 and following knee surgery I specced a triple chainset!

You need a triple in East Anglia :wink:
  • keef66
    Webboo wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    CASATIKID wrote:

Chapeau!

You need a triple in East Anglia :wink:

Not always, but when I do, I really do!

An E-bike is the next step I fear...