Di2 lost registration

riversideloch
riversideloch Posts: 3
edited April 2019 in Road general
Looking for some help please, any advice much appreciated as I have goggled this to distraction !

My 6870 Di2 seems to have lost registration - ie the etube software says I am in gear 1 when I am actually in gear 2. When I am in gear 11 it thinks I am in gear 10 etc. So I can get gears 2-11 no problem with perfect shifting then with one more click it tries to go to an imaginery gear 12 (it just moves a little to the stop). I have activated crash protection reset etc but no joy. In gear 2 I can get the chain into gear 1 by activating setting mode and setting the trim to minus 16 but the rest of the gears are all badly aligned then (and of course the brain still thinks it is in gear 2 as seen on the etube screen)

The most frustrating thing is that the Di2 is superb when it works ok which it has for the past 3 years.

thanks in advance

Comments

• zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    Sorry no help to you but I have a similar issue. I have r8050 di2 and my rear derailleur won't go into the top 2 gears (biggest cogs). When in the hardest gear (11 tooth) etube says I'm in the 3rd biggest. If I remove the lower limit screw it then allows me to shift 2 more times outboard but then this puts the chain well over the chain stays. I just assume something in the derailleur has bent outwards. Mech hanger has been aligned and same issue. Hope someone knows of a fix for this otherwise it's a new derailleur!
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I'd suggest disconnecting the battery and starting the setup again from scratch.
  • Thanks for the feedback. I have left bike in LBS to get the diagnostics check. Will update how it pans out.
    Paul
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Zeee wrote:
    Sorry no help to you but I have a similar issue. I have r8050 di2 and my rear derailleur won't go into the top 2 gears (biggest cogs). When in the hardest gear (11 tooth) etube says I'm in the 3rd biggest. If I remove the lower limit screw it then allows me to shift 2 more times outboard but then this puts the chain well over the chain stays. I just assume something in the derailleur has bent outwards. Mech hanger has been aligned and same issue. Hope someone knows of a fix for this otherwise it's a new derailleur!

Can’t quite understand from your comments which gears you can’t get, but it might be worth reading this article regarding a possible cause https://www.velonews.com/2018/05/news/technical-faq-di2s-fail-safe-for-short-chainstays-more-on-hoop-stress_466173

PP
  • zeee
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Zeee wrote:

Can’t quite understand from your comments which gears you can’t get, but it might be worth reading this article regarding a possible cause https://www.velonews.com/2018/05/news/technical-faq-di2s-fail-safe-for-short-chainstays-more-on-hoop-stress_466173

PP

Hi PP

Thanks for your response. This however is a different issue. I can't get to the 2 easiest gears (2 largest cogs on rear cassette closest to the wheel). Regardless of which chainring I am in.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    You've got the fine indexing mixed up. Reality is I'm at the right end of a bottle of red now so this may be incorrect, but it sounds like you've indexed them and got out of line.

Go into index mode, then count the clicks from one extreme to the other. IIRC it's 16 and you should be around the middle of that for the fine tuning. If it's 32 the same applies. Once it's loosely indexed around the mid-point mark see if you have the full complement of gears. You're probably indexed one cog to the right, so the it can't move enough to the left to get into 'the easiest gears'.

HTH. It was a 2015 Fitou if that's of any use. Jolly nice it was too.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    CiB wrote:
    It was a 2015 Fitou if that's of any use. Jolly nice it was too.

:lol: Good man and an excellent choice !
  • zeee
    Sorry should have said it's not indexing. I have fully indexed it both ways and still no joy. If I fully index it inboard I can sometimes get on to the second largest cog but it slips back down one.

The issue is like the hanger is so far bent outboard the derailleur sits a fair few mm beyond the smallest cog. But I have checked and the hanger is in perfect alignment. I have searched the Web for hours with no joy. Think I'll go mechanical next time!
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    If the hanger alignment is correct and the gears move through an 11 gear range with indexing correctly then I would think either your limit screws are set wrong or the derailleur cage itself is bent.
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    Thanks for the feedback. I have left bike in LBS to get the diagnostics check. Will update how it pans out.
    Paul

What did they say/do?