Itzulia Basque Country: 8-13 April 2019 *Spoilers*

2»

Comments

• hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    A post race review has meant that Buchmann has had his final time revised (after he was misdirected/went the wrong way) and, as a result, been promoted up to third on GC @31 secs. His valiant ride gets some recognition.

Thanks to BS for the race information posted
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    hommelbier wrote:
    A post race review has meant that Buchmann has had his final time revised (after he was misdirected/went the wrong way) and, as a result, been promoted up to third on GC @31 secs. His valiant ride gets some recognition.

Thanks to BS for the race information posted

That's good news. I felt really bad for him to lose out on the podium that way after his gutsy ride. He kept hanging in and fighting all the way.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Been a decent race and glad for Buchmann, first time I've come across this rider hope he does well
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Normally I don't enjoy this race, but the 2019 version has had plenty of action. Shame that Carlton was on commentary though. One highlight was when he spent the last 6 or so kilometers of a stage saying Dan Martin was on the attack, only to find out after the finish that it was actually Pogacar.

One question I do have, does anyone call Buchmann "Manny" other than Carlton Kirby? I don't ever recall any other commentator or any article/interview I've seen use that abbreviation for his first name.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Since Buchmann is German it's quite unlikely. Typically his name would be abbreviated to "Manu".
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    That's because Carlton Kirby is a moron
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    edited April 2019
    I did enjoy the gnarly finish to the last stage.. although it was inland and didn't spot any waves
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    squired wrote:

One question I do have, does anyone call Buchmann "Manny" other than Carlton Kirby? I don't ever recall any other commentator or any article/interview I've seen use that abbreviation for his first name.
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Since Buchmann is German it's quite unlikely. Typically his name would be abbreviated to "Manu".

They certainly don't.
    In fact, the Germans over on Velorooms find it incredibly annoying. Welcome to our Kirby world, I say. :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Alaphillipe failed to take to the start for today's stage.
    Presumably he will rest up for a couple of days then resume training.
    Leaves him light on racing prior to Ardennes week though, so he may opt to stretch his legs in Brabanse.

As predicted, Alaphilippe is now starting Brabantse Pijl.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Don't know how much interest good 'ol Pais Vasco will generate around here, but might as well make the effort as there a couple of hours live each day on Eurosport.

This year there's a pretty poor weather forecast, too.

Stage 1: Zumarraga I.T.T. (11.9 km)
    e7db739b-ff3f-4de1-978f-5ae7ac5dfb29.jpg

Stage 2: Zumarraga - Gorraiz (149,5 km)
    47df808f-471d-4b17-ae0d-39526d8f916a.jpg

Stage 3: Sarriguren - Estibaliz (191,4 km)
    f4c60aef-be13-4901-9957-fbe420c29a88.jpg

Stage 4: Vitoria-Gasteiz - Arrigorriaga (163,6 km)
    efc6f7d9-1d2e-4490-923f-93cdf41ae32f.jpg

Stage 5: Arrigorriaga - Arrate (149,8 km)
    a657dd31-cfd2-4081-bacb-47912292f5e2.jpg

Stage 6: Eibar - Eibar (118,2 km)
    a0a2d647-7311-410e-bdef-6564633accd5.jpg

Alaphillippe, Kwiatkowski, Martin.

Thomas, Buchmann, Landa, Anacona, Adam Yates, Nieve, Dani Martinez, Ben King, George Bennett, Mas.

Then there's Astana, who have Pello Bilbao, Izagirre, Izagirre, Fraile, Lutsenko, LL Sanchez and Fuglsang.
    Buy strongest mushroom grow kit at expertplantman
    https://expertplantman.com/best-mushroom-growing-kit/