Canyon aeroad worth it?

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
Just looking for some owners opinions on the aeroad, especially from anyone who has ridden both the aeroad and a tarmac s-works.

I love my s-works but due to permanent nerve damage in my left arm I am going to need electronic gears and so have started to consider whether it makes more sense to just buy a new bike equipped with it, and sell the s-works. Especially as I am probably going to focus on timetrials when I'm back fit and i believe the aeroad is much more aero than my tarmac, and far better value than the venge.

It's only a thought at the moment, but would appreciate any opinions on the aeroad.

Thanks

Comments

• ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    A new Aeroad is coming out later this year, if that bothers you are not?

I've just built an SL6 Disc with Di2 and it is an amazing bike, better than the Aeroad across the board apart from quite as slippy.

With an aero cockpit and CLX50 wheels, you're not going to be far behind the aerodynamics of the Aeroad, and it is a much comfier bike.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • redvision
    Cheers for the reply.

I have the sl5 tarmac s-works and whilst I love it I have never found it particularly aero, even with the deep section clx rovals that came with it. It is a beautiful ride though.

I wasn't considering changing it but the fact that I will definitely need an electric groupset to make changing gear easier, and that i have decided to focus more on timetrials (but don't want a full out tt bike) it is something I am giving serious thought to.

Interested to hear your comparison between the aeroad and the sl6 though. What model aeroad did you have?
    How did it compare with stiffness and how did you find it on climbs?

Thanks
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I've never owned an Aeroad, however, two close friends have them, a medium 2017 8.0 (Di2 Ultegra) and a large 2018 8.0 disc (DA mech), which I've tried out.

They are very fast, stiff and a great bike, but the frame's getting on for 5 years old now. I would put it on par with my S5 for comfort. They're fine, but they're made to go as fast as possible and compromise comfort for this.

The SL6 (S-Works) feels like a scalpel. It is SO precise and sharp. Again, feels very fast, light and will be more bike than 99% of the population ever need.

As far as comfort goes, you can't compare the two. SL6 wins hands down, and if I were to pick a bike to go do a cycling holiday on, or a long 200km weekend ride, I would pick the SL6 every time.

My S5 will be faster round Richmond Park chewing my stem for 15 minutes, but I know which bike I'd want to spend multiple hours on.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • redvision
    Ah right, thanks. Tbh I'm not that fussed about a new version being launched this year. I was only looking at the Cf Sl model, not the slx, and it does seem exceptional value for 3k.

Like I say, it would be used for timetrials and general rides, unfortunately I don't think I will be doing any century rides again, so long distance comfort isn't a priority.

Cheers again for your comments.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    It’s a great bike for the money. Still tests very well against the latest crop, starting to show its age by not having an integrated cockpit.

Agree with the comments on the SL6 though, put an aero bar on that and you’ve something that is probably as aero as an aeroroad with more compliance and lighter.
  • redvision
    Stueys wrote:
    It’s a great bike for the money. Still tests very well against the latest crop, starting to show its age by not having an integrated cockpit.

Agree with the comments on the SL6 though, put an aero bar on that and you’ve something that is probably as aero as an aeroroad with more compliance and lighter.

It's the sl5 I have. Like I say, I love it to bits but the sl6 has a much more aero design, and the sl5 is definitely behind in that department.

It's just a thought at the moment as changing groupset on the s-works to electronic is going to cost the best part of a grand, and so it seemed a sensible time to consider selling it whilst I can still recoup some decent money for it and then buy a bike equipped with everything I need for when I get back training and start competing in timetrials.

Thanks again for the comments. Plenty food for thought.
  • Joaaso
    Joaaso Posts: 15
    redvision wrote:
    Tbh I'm not that fussed about a new version being launched this year.
    I wouldn't mind, the current one is a classic.. Glad I got one, so much fun to ride it, but can't help you compare it to sl5, never tried it..
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    if you get the Aeroad for time trials, will you be using the bars as is or putting on tri bars? I think you would need to specify the H36 bars and not the H11. Not sure what bars the CF comes with as standard - and I could be dreaming that so worth checking.
    I have the CF SLX and it isn't compatible with tri bars. Still a great bike though, very happy with mine. Also happy enough with the comfort of it, not had any problems with doing long rides.
    One thing to add, the Di2 is a bit of pain, doesn't need charging often - but I find the DI2 charging port and using a Wahoo mount a bit of a pain (the mount uses the screws for the charging port). Its just a wee bit fiddly.
    Also have Canyon confirmed if a new Aeroad is coming out this year?
    When buying the Canyon last year I test rode, Canyon Aeroad, Tarmac SL6 Pro Disc, System Six and Madone. I would have went with the System Six out of those bikes, but the Canyon went on sale and was a touch under £3k for the Ultegra Di2 CF SLX. (I was lucky in that a friend had the Aeroad already so borrowed that for a week)
    The Tarmac was very good, but it was double the price of the Aeroad.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    w00dster wrote:
    When buying the Canyon last year I test rode, Canyon Aeroad, Tarmac SL6 Pro Disc, System Six and Madone. I would have went with the System Six out of those bikes, but the Canyon went on sale and was a touch under £3k for the Ultegra Di2 CF SLX. (I was lucky in that a friend had the Aeroad already so borrowed that for a week)
    The Tarmac was very good, but it was double the price of the Aeroad.

Where did you arrange the test rides ? Im looking at upgrading and if im going to spend a fortunate id like to do a few tests before hand
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    The pro's are still riding the current Aeroad so a new one may be a little while away.
    Riders like Van Der Poel are still smashing other riders on the Aeroad so it doesn't appear to losing out much, if anything at all to newer bikes.
  • redvision
    Cheers for all the replies. Some really interesting comments.

Still haven't made a decision yet but am probably leaning towards just upgrading the s-works now, as with the new aeroad supposedly coming out later this year I would be a bit miffed if I splashed out now only to find the prices of the current model reduced in the near future.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Don’t get hung up on the aerodynamic difference between road bikes for time trialling, they’ll all be within a really small range.

Its you on the bike that is 95% of the drag problem, and you can only really address that by using a dedicated TT bike.

I’ve got a TT rig, but recently did a hilly on my road bike, a 2010 BMC SLR01 (with alloy wheels, exposed cables etc - ie not at all aero) and comparing to previous times I reckon I lost a minute to my TT bike over 13 miles, but I still beat some of the TT bike folk on the fast segment down the valley.

For £1k you could pick up a perfectly decent TT bike that would trash any aero road bike in a TT, and if you’re not racing, why does it matter if you are 5 seconds faster per hour?
  • redvision
    Milese wrote:
    Don’t get hung up on the aerodynamic difference between road bikes for time trialling, they’ll all be within a really small range.

Its you on the bike that is 95% of the drag problem, and you can only really address that by using a dedicated TT bike.

I’ve got a TT rig, but recently did a hilly on my road bike, a 2010 BMC SLR01 (with alloy wheels, exposed cables etc - ie not at all aero) and comparing to previous times I reckon I lost a minute to my TT bike over 13 miles, but I still beat some of the TT bike folk on the fast segment down the valley.

For £1k you could pick up a perfectly decent TT bike that would trash any aero road bike in a TT, and if you’re not racing, why does it matter if you are 5 seconds faster per hour?

Cheers for the advice.

Defo don't want to go full tt bike tbh

Anyway, having thought long and hard I have realised that i don't want to part with my s-works as it is my pride and joy. So just going to upgrade that to di2 and maybe add some aero bars.