Cracked tubeless tyre - certain death?

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited April 2019 in Workshop
Got a tubeless IRC RBCC tyre that's probably done nearly 4000km and not ridden it for a while over winter. I've just given them some more sealant and changed valves and noted that they are cracked around the side. Any thoughts on whether these are ready for the bin or not? I'd replace them if I had some ready to put on, and will still probably do so in due course, but in the meantime...?

Malcolm is away according to his website, but maybe the IRC/tubeless tannoy still works...

TIA.

rbcc.jpg

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I would have thought they'd be fine. I've seen plenty of normal tyres like that - are tubeless that fragile ?
  • munkster
    Well, on a clincher you have an inner tube “back up” if the tyre breaches. On tubeless you, well, don’t... :wink:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    As long as the carcass isn't damaged, they should be fine. I would monitor them pretty closely though, as I would with any tyre in that condition, tubed or not. You may have better results doing this tubeless as the sealant may become visible if the carcass does open up at all. If you start seeing sealant seeping out, or any of the rubber starts peeling away from the carcass, I'd bin them.
  • munkster
    the sealant may become visible if the carcass does open up at all

That's a very good point, and very obvious but I never thought of that, thanks. I will replace in due course like I say, but if I can "safely" eke out another 500-1000km then I'd be silly to chop them in prematurely. I did get a puncture on them very early on that seemed to be refusing to seal over a few rides but that was over a year ago and it's been great since. Famous last words that, however, should never utter the "P" word!!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I don't do massive mileages so I have tyres on my bikes for several years at a time. I've noticed the tread on my GP4Seasons start to crack like that after 2 or 3 years. Doesn't seem to affect the performance though.

One time I kept running them till the carcase started to show through the centre of the tread, and then the tread started to come off in places. Still impressively puncture-free.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    That is not the casing. So technically safe. Casing crack will lead to a bulge. If the casing threads show that another warning sign.

I think those cracks can come from running the tyre too low or atmospheric conditions (ozone/UV can contribute).
    I'll ask IRC what they think.enail the photo please.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • munkster
    Unlikely the tyre run too low but conceivable; I would routinely pump them up to 90psi or so, and even when I re-inflate they are rarely below 70 at that point, maybe occasionally down to about 60. They've been on the bike since about June 2017 on the summer bike and done around 4000km, always kept in the garage in the meantime. They were pretty flat after the winter but were obviously not ridden like that.

Rode them yesterday on a short (30km) ride and no ill effects but would appreciate IRC's thoughts. I will email the picture.
  • cycleclinic
    You have just said it. Bike stored over winter and not used so they were flat. Hard rubbers like IRC use can be more prone to this. Soft rubbers less so but they wear out more quickly.
  • munkster
    Fair enough! They weren’t flat for the whole time to be honest and probably not for very long since I had the bearings done and the LBS inflated them back. But yep I can see that this is the likely reason.
  • cycleclinic
    I have passed it onto IRC anyway. They may say it not normal and warranty. My tyres go a bit over winter and and they don't crack light that.

We'll see what is said.
  • munkster
    Great, thanks.