Wheel compatability

shewy
shewy Posts: 62
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
Looking to buy some lighter wheels, my current wheels are 6 bolt disc with qr skewers. Looking at Hunt wheels but they are centerlock, is the rotor position the same, and will it fit my frame?

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    yes the disc position is the same on all wheels, things youll need to check are same hub width, axle type e.g 9mmqr, 10mm through axle etc.
  • shewy
    shewy Posts: 62
    Perfect thanks.Hunt can accommodate all types of axles
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    lemonenema wrote:
    yes the disc position is the same on all wheels.

I've found that not to be true though it's less than 1mm but still needs the calliper realigning if I swap wheels cause of a late noted puncture. Different wheel set has different hubs and one is CL the other 6 bolt.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    shewy wrote:
    Looking to buy some lighter wheels, my current wheels are 6 bolt disc with qr skewers. Looking at Hunt wheels but they are centerlock, is the rotor position the same, and will it fit my frame?

FWIW I’ve swapped Hunt front wheel over from 9mm to 15mm through axle.Very easy to do. Also, Hunt wheels come with an adaptor to convert centrelock to 6 bolt mounting. Works perfectly. Other companies offer similar products.

These are Shimano ones, but Hunt look the same.

87930-299902_1_Supersize.jpg
  • proto
    redvee wrote:
    lemonenema wrote:
    yes the disc position is the same on all wheels.

I've found that not to be true though it's less than 1mm but still needs the calliper realigning if I swap wheels cause of a late noted puncture. Different wheel set has different hubs and one is CL the other 6 bolt.

Not my experience, tbh, swapping between some Kinesis, Bontrager and Hunt wheels.
  • lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    I think youve misunderstood the original question - its not , will the wheel fit without any re adjustment of the caliper, but will the wheel fit full stop.
    Yes most wheel changes will need a minor amount of adjustment to the brake caliper, but the rotor is pretty much in the same place on all wheels.
  • proto
    The original post was questioning whether the disc position is the same for 6 bolt and centrelock. The answer is yes.
    The OP also stated that Hunt wheels are centrelock. This is true, but they are also supplied with 6 bolt adaptors. I thought it worth him knowing that.