Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Shimano E-Thru

ciaransherryciaransherry Posts: 12
edited April 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm in the market for a rear wheel and the one I like has an axle called Shimano E-thru? Is this any different to a thru axle? It says its 148 x 12 which is the hub size I need but I'm worried it wont fit on my frame (Dartmoor Primal 2019)

Posts

  • whyamiherewhyamihere Posts: 7,338
    The type of axle you use is defined by the frame, not the wheel. The wheel just has an appropriately sized hole for the axle to go through.

    The Primal has a Boost rear end, so as long as the description of the wheel as having a 148x12mm hub is accurate, then it will fit.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    The type of axle you use is defined by the frame, not the wheel. The wheel just has an appropriately sized hole for the axle to go through.

    The Primal has a Boost rear end, so as long as the description of the wheel as having a 148x12mm hub is accurate, then it will fit.

    The wheel is 148x12, but I'm assuming the wheel will not come with an axle so I will have to buy a Shimano Ethru axle. Appreciate the help!
  • whyamiherewhyamihere Posts: 7,338
    The axle should have come with the frame. If it didn't, then you need to buy the appropriate axle for the frame, which may or may not be a Shimano Ethru axle - There's many different specifications of Boost thru axle.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    The axle should have come with the frame. If it didn't, then you need to buy the appropriate axle for the frame, which may or may not be a Shimano Ethru axle - There's many different specifications of Boost thru axle.
    Come to think of it there does seem to be an axle in the frame, I just assumed it was for shipping as there is no release lever and it is wrapped in packaging. Appreciate the advice :D
  • JBAJBA Posts: 2,633
    Any 12 x 148mm thru axle will fit through the hub but it is important to check that the thread on it matches the receiver on the frame. Different manufacturers make axles with different thread pitches. For example, the Shimano e-thru is M12x1.5 but some DT Swiss axles are M12x1.0.

    If the frame is new then the correct axle should have been supplied with it. Some axles do not have release levers; they require an allen key to do them up/undo them.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

    Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Bird Zero Mk1 ¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    Any 12 x 148mm thru axle will fit through the hub but it is important to check that the thread on it matches the receiver on the frame. Different manufacturers make axles with different thread pitches. For example, the Shimano e-thru is M12x1.5 but some DT Swiss axles are M12x1.0.

    If the frame is new then the correct axle should have been supplied with it. Some axles do not have release levers; they require an allen key to do them up/undo them.
    I can't seem to find this information on the Dartmoor Website nor the specs for the Shimano wheel. Would you say they're more likely to be compatible than incompatible?
  • swod1swod1 Posts: 1,639
    slam69 should be able to get you one or have them in stock

    is this what your after?

    https://slam69.co.uk/dartmoor-primal-pl ... 6511-p.asp
  • JBAJBA Posts: 2,633
    ciaransherry - have you confirmed there is an axle with the frame? If there is then it will be the correct one.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

    Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Bird Zero Mk1 ¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    ciaransherry - have you confirmed there is an axle with the frame? If there is then it will be the correct one.

    Theres definitely something threaded where the rear wheel goes, looks just like the axle linked. I'll have to confirm when I get home from work.
  • swod1 wrote:
    slam69 should be able to get you one or have them in stock

    is this what your after?

    https://slam69.co.uk/dartmoor-primal-pl ... 6511-p.asp

    This looks just like the axle that came with the frame so I believe I have this. It was just wrapped in cardboard so I thought it was to stop the chainstay bending in shipping
Sign In or Register to comment.