Back to Back audax rides last weekend

djrikki
djrikki Posts: 83
So last weekend I went on two consecutive audax calendar events, the first in Lincolnshire and the second in Yorkshire and Lancashire - both 200km distance rides in preparation for Paris-Brest-Paris in August.

Very tiring by the second half of Sunday after enduring a full day in the hills around Lancashire; weather was good to all riders and the scenery was stunning on both days. :D

Part One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwbDM3A2ehQ

Part Two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDUfowz1dZ4

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    fantastic! what bike / setup were you riding?

Also, have you ridden the Yorkshire Dales Cycleway? Thats another scenic, somewhat hilly ride.
  • djrikki
    Yorkshire Dales Cycleway, my first visit into the Yorkshire Dales is a couple of weeks away, it's a 300km audax, "Beyond the Dales We Know" - so as of right now no I haven't -) 3,700 metres of climbing coming up!

It's a Cube Agree Pro C:62 2018, 11-28 cassette, Wahoo Element bolt, Schwalbe Durano Plua tyres which are pretty slow, but very puncture resistant. On the Sunday I rode with my Stem Cell bag from Alpkit, stuffed with a powerbank, tubes, pump, levers with a little room left over for tabs and a few nibbles. Kinda overheated on all the hills around Keighley so I ended up finding room to shove a base layer in there too.
  • lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    fair dues to you, Ive got an 11-32 on for lake district and yorkshire hills
    Stem cell bag is handy, not aerodynamic but useful and hard wearing.
  • djrikki
    Just been eyeing up a top-tube bag from Alpkit as well as range of Sondor bikes on their website.

Yeah not very aero, but very functional.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    djrikki wrote:
    Yorkshire Dales Cycleway, my first visit into the Yorkshire Dales is a couple of weeks away, it's a 300km audax, "Beyond the Dales We Know" - so as of right now no I haven't -) 3,700 metres of climbing coming up!

3 weeks away

I'm down to do it too
    left the forum March 2023
  • djrikki
    djrikki wrote:

3 weeks away

I'm down to do it too

Indeed, its the 27th April. I am particularly looking forward to camping over and the mention of post-beer and music :lol:
  • ugo.santalucia
    Camping in April in England sounds horrendous... I have a room at the Premier inn in Thirsk... 80 quid for two nights :-)
  • djrikki
    Well if it's not camping I will look on AirBnB :)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Looks like the route skirts all the classic dales climbs?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    Svetty wrote:
    Looks like the route skirts all the classic dales climbs?

Yes, it's not meant to be a collection of hard climbs, like the "Etape du Dales", but rather a scenic route. If you fit a 300 km ride with all the steepest climbs you can find, you are unlikely to attract many fans.
    I have discovered that for the most, people don't like hills :wink: