Are these wheels worth it?

domdom1980
domdom1980 Posts: 79
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
I've been looking to upgrade the wheels for my TCR advanced 2 as I love the bike but fancy some new wheels, and I am definitely tempted by some Borgs as I've read such good reviews on them, and Malcolm has suggested a few to me, but as a counter point I have seen these and wondered if anyone had any views of them, they seem to review well and seem a good discount from planet x:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPVISME40 ... t-wheelset

Has anyone got any/tried any and got some thoughts?

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Vision freehubs can expensive. I would check the price. Also it is common for freehubs to change and then no longer be available. A few companies keep the same freehub for a long time, vision is not one of them. This issue kills many an older wheel.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    There's nothing wrong with those wheels, but if the question is, are they worth it, almost certainly not (see the thread that came up recently from a guy that had upgraded his stock wheels and couldn't tell the difference....)

You can get very good wheelsets for half the price which will be only fractionally heavier, and only fractionally less aero.

Still, it is your money, so if you want to buy these wheels that is entirely your prerogative.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    That looks like a standard Novatec hub to me... not sure what the TCC is talking about.

Pretty sure TCC can build you a pair with the same hubs and similar rims for similar money
    left the forum March 2023
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    Assuming you are using them for nice days, racing, events etc then they should last plenty long enough - if you plan to commute on them then I wouldn't bother.

I'd buy them if i was in the market for that kind of wheel - you can't get much in the way of new carbon wheels for £700 and at least with a known brand albeit not one of the prestige ones they will carry a bit of sell on value.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I've got those wheels (or at least a similar variant - but still Vision Metron 40 Disc Clincher).
    They came as the stock wheels on my Trek Domane. I use them as my winter wheels, had them for over 2 years. The freehub did seize after about 15 months of riding, but sent back and replaced for free within a week. To be honest the service was really good, I expected to be hit with a bill, but I took the wheel to the LBS where I purchased them from and it was all handled without any further input from me. I've used mine for winter riding, CX riding and gravel riding.
    The most important thing is that they would look really good on the TCR.
  • Thanks for the replies! Still a bit torn and a couple of weeks off any purchase, so no definite decision yet.

I will only use them for steady riding, mainly in good weather, so I'd hope the hubs last a while, but then again not sure I'd get anywhere near the level of service buying these as I would with the Borgs, which does swing it a bit for me.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Error. It's a novatec type B2 freehub. Ignore me I posted drivel.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.