Fitting an 11-speed cassette to an older Hope road hub

sparquin
sparquin Posts: 69
edited April 2019 in Workshop
I have an old pair of Hope Hoops road wheels, I think they have the Pro 2 hubs or Mono RS (have to check) and a freehub that can only fit a Shimano 10-speed cassette. Is it possible to replace the freehub body with one that will take a newer 11-speed cassette?

(Edited at half past six: it's a Pro 3 Mono)

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Sparquin wrote:
    I have an old pair of Hope Hoops road wheels, I think they have the Pro 2 hubs or Mono RS (have to check) and a freehub that can only fit a Shimano 10-speed cassette. Is it possible to replace the freehub body with one that will take a newer 11-speed cassette?

If you have some fettling skills you could adopt Ugo's approach and modify the freehub on your old wheels so that it will accept an 11-speed cassette

https://whosatthewheel.com/2015/01/29/t ... witchover/

No guarantees but could provide a solution
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    The Ultegra, 11 speed 11-34 cassette fits a 10 speed freehub body if you fancy some low gearing.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Joe Totale wrote:
    The Ultegra, 11 speed 11-34 cassette fits a 10 speed freehub body if you fancy some low gearing.

Not all 10 speed freehub bodies apparently. I've read on here there's a problem with some Hope hubs...

@ the OP: have you asked Hope themselves?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Some cassettes (Ultegra deffo, don't know about others) have loads of meat on the back so you can just get someone to grind 1.8mm off to fit 10 speed freewheels.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Yes is the answer. An easy way is to switch to a Campagnolo freehub and then run a Campagnolo 11 speed cassette. Campag 10/11 speed cassettes are same width. Some suggest that the shifting is very marginally different but I've run 11 speed shimano cassette with campag 11 speed groupset on demo wheels and it really is barely noticeable.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    jeffbwood wrote:
    Yes is the answer. An easy way is to switch to a Campagnolo freehub and then run a Campagnolo 11 speed cassette. Campag 10/11 speed cassettes are same width. Some suggest that the shifting is very marginally different but I've run 11 speed shimano cassette with campag 11 speed groupset on demo wheels and it really is barely noticeable.

Quite an expensive option given the price of Campag cassettes tho compared to a quick bit of machining or an R7000 11-34
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:
    Quite an expensive option given the price of Campag cassettes tho compared to a quick bit of machining or an R7000 11-34

Plenty of cheap used 11 speed cassettes out there so not really all that expensive. Each to their own if you're happy machining/bodging a cassette and sticking with an 11-34 spacing.

OP - if you do decide you want a campag freehub then let me know as I may have a spare I could sell - just message me.
  • sparquin
    keef66 wrote:
    @ the OP: have you asked Hope themselves?

That's the logical next step, except I haven't yet checked precisely which model hub it is. I'll keep this updated, since it's likely to be fairly useful for other people
  • sparquin
    Turns out it's a Pro 3 Mono. Next step, ask Hope!
  • sparquin
    Well, I asked Hope about it, and their tech department had the answer right there at their fingertips:
    Unfortunately, it is not possible to fit an 11 speed road cassette to the Pro 3 Mono I’m afraid, sorry. The first generation of hubs that will accept 11 speed road is the RS Mono.

Too bad. So I asked about other options, such as the Ultegra-level 11-34 11-speed that fits in a 10-speed freehub, or an 11-speed Mountain Bike cassette:
    When Shimano released their 11 speed road bike cassette it was wider than their 10 speed ones, too wide to fit onto the freehubs on our hubs. Prior to this Pro 3 Mono was our go to road hub. Realising that 11 speed was going to be very popular for road bikes we decided to re-design the Pro 3 Mono, making the splines on the freehub longer and bringing the drive side flange in by around 1mm to avoid the cassette fowling on the j bend spokes as they turn out of the spoke holes. To avoid confusion we re-named the Pro 3 Mono hub the RS Mono.

Just to complicate things.. Shimano’s 11 speed mountain bike cassettes are the same width as their 10 speed road ones, so will fit onto the Pro 3 Mono as well as many of our older hubs too.

All our standard splined freehubs are now 11 speed road cassette compatible and come with a 1.8mm spacer to be used with anything else.

I think we can take that as pretty definitive. I've heard that the 5800 derailleur can cope with 11-40, so MTB may be the way to go!
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Sparquin wrote:
    Well, I asked Hope about it, and their tech department had the answer right there at their fingertips:
    Unfortunately, it is not possible to fit an 11 speed road cassette to the Pro 3 Mono I’m afraid, sorry. The first generation of hubs that will accept 11 speed road is the RS Mono.

Too bad. So I asked about other options, such as the Ultegra-level 11-34 11-speed that fits in a 10-speed freehub, or an 11-speed Mountain Bike cassette:
    When Shimano released their 11 speed road bike cassette it was wider than their 10 speed ones, too wide to fit onto the freehubs on our hubs. Prior to this Pro 3 Mono was our go to road hub. Realising that 11 speed was going to be very popular for road bikes we decided to re-design the Pro 3 Mono, making the splines on the freehub longer and bringing the drive side flange in by around 1mm to avoid the cassette fowling on the j bend spokes as they turn out of the spoke holes. To avoid confusion we re-named the Pro 3 Mono hub the RS Mono.

Just to complicate things.. Shimano’s 11 speed mountain bike cassettes are the same width as their 10 speed road ones, so will fit onto the Pro 3 Mono as well as many of our older hubs too.

All our standard splined freehubs are now 11 speed road cassette compatible and come with a 1.8mm spacer to be used with anything else.

I think we can take that as pretty definitive. I've heard that the 5800 derailleur can cope with 11-40, so MTB may be the way to go!

Still not convinced that the R7000 11-34 won't work fine as it's the same width as the 11sp mountain bike cassettes - hence it fits 10 speed freehubs.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • sparquin
    Svetty wrote:
    Still not convinced that the R7000 11-34 won't work fine as it's the same width as the 11sp mountain bike cassettes - hence it fits 10 speed freehubs.....

It probably would, unless the biggest cog gets too close to the spoke ends. The fact is though, I've already got a 11-40 cassette on my MTB, so that's why I plan to try one of them first. And of course, report back.
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    A less destructive way is the EDCO Monoblock cassette - http://www.edco-wheels.co.uk/product/mo ... cassettes/ - not a cheap option but a direct fit for my DuraAce 10 speed hub. All I needed was an adjustment to the high limit screw as they're a touch wider than my Ultra 11 speed cassette but still within the frame limits, and to tension the cable accordingly.
  • sparquin
    Last night I took the 11-40 cassette from the MTB and tried it on these wheels. Perfect fit, no rubbing spokes or anything. If the design of the 11-34 is the same, I'm sure it will present no problem at all.
    So in short, if you have an older Hope hub and want to run 11-speed, you can use any Shimano MTB cassette, the 11-34, or the fearsomely expensive Edco solution
  • Matthewfalle
    A less destructive way is the EDCO Monoblock cassette - http://www.edco-wheels.co.uk/product/mo ... cassettes/ - not a cheap option but a direct fit for my DuraAce 10 speed hub. All I needed was an adjustment to the high limit screw as they're a touch wider than my Ultra 11 speed cassette but still within the frame limits, and to tension the cable accordingly.

stupidly expensive but how pretty? utterly lush.

whats the weight like compred to red/d-a?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    The 11-28 is 25gms lighter than the DuraAce 12-28.

Yes, it's stupidly expense...but also is throwing away a pair of 2010 DuraAce 1380 wheels that are not 11 speed compatible...this was pretty much the only option sadly.

Shifting is ok...not as slick as a full Shimano setup but I'm still tweaking the indexing
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    the older hope hub cannot use an 11 speed road cassette whether it be campagnolo or shimano. The cassette gets stuck on the sheel. so to overcome this freehub and shell maching are required. I have some hope Ti glide hubs. I can only use campagnolo 10 speed with them.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Matthewfalle
    thats what the bloke @ Hope said wasn't it?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I missed that post.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Matthewfalle
    no - its cool that you did because it backs up what the bloke from Hope wrote (which we would expect to be right as they make the freewheel) but some bloke above said that he can't be right even though he (not doubting bloke but other bloke - Hope bloke) works for the company that makes the freewheels (Hope) so we would expect Hope bloke to be right which a) he is and b)you have confirmed.

so its all good stuff.

#allgoodstuff

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    We're just waiting for confirmation from the OP that he's tried it with a road cassette and failed / succeeded
  • sparquin
    keef66 wrote:
    We're just waiting for confirmation from the OP that he's tried it with a road cassette and failed / succeeded

Things I've tried it with so far (i.e., things I actually have) . . .

11-40 11-speed MTB. Good fit, usable if your derailleur can cope.
    11-36 10-speed MTB. Good fit, I pretty much expected it would be
    11-32 11-speed road. Can't get the lock ring on
    11-28 10-speed road. Good fit, it's what I already had on there.

The one thing I've not tried is the 11-34 Shimano 11-speed, but I'd expect it to be OK based on the 11-40 fitting nicely. I'm now vaguely considering putting an 11-40 on them permanently and using them as my lazy hill climbing wheels.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,604
    I thought Edco went bust?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Matthewfalle
    Daniel B wrote:

if they are the same as the wheel people aren't they still advertising in Cyclist magazine?

black and white picture (surprise surprise) dude with beard (surprise surprise) and Edco polo shirt holding up a wheel? or are we imagining things?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • daniel_b
    Daniel B wrote:

if they are the same as the wheel people aren't they still advertising in Cyclist magazine?

black and white picture (surprise surprise) dude with beard (surprise surprise) and Edco polo shirt holding up a wheel? or are we imagining things?

Could have sworn they went into administration, thought that was linked to Tacx shelving their freehub on the Neo and going for a shimano/sram one instead, as they believed there would be no further supply / spares.

Perhaps they found a buyer.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • sparquin
    Daniel B wrote:

I can't help thinking that they wouldn't have to sell many of those cassettes to stay solvent :lol:
  • daniel_b
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Matthewfalle
    blimey! oh well.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • daniel_b
    blimey! oh well.

Well it sounds as if they are still trading, and potentially thriving.

Tacx dropping them may have been a co-incidence, but it was just before this was announced iirc.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    EDCO are are still going, new ownership but was a pretty seamless transition and UK distribution didn't change.

Monoblock cassettes are expensive but supposedly wear well and should significantly outlast something like an ultegra cassette... apparently 3 times the mileage. I've recently got one so I'll have to wait and see how that claim stacks up with time.