Pro 2evo steel freehub and 11spd

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited April 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I’m looking at buying another freehub for a pro 2evo hub I’ve got on my bike. Giving it a look over today the alloy freehub are rubbish seems to be chewed up from the cassettes I’ve used.

However looking into freehubs are they 11spd compatible for pro 2evo?

I’m still on 10spd but will upgrade to 11 in the future.

Part “hope hub523” I’ve been looking at and I’m not sure.

Any one know which will fit?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    MTB 11 (and 12) speed cassettes are the same width as 9/10 speed, so you're good.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cassettes will chew up an alloy freehub, but, erm, so what?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    Go for the steel one... I have it for my road hub and it's so much better
    left the forum March 2023
  • swod1
    whyamihere wrote:
    MTB 11 (and 12) speed cassettes are the same width as 9/10 speed, so you're good.

Great so if I order the hub523 steel freehub, I can still in the future fit an 11speed mtb cassette. sjscycles said it wasn't compatible with 11speed?
    The Rookie wrote:
    Cassettes will chew up an alloy freehub, but, erm, so what?

The alloy freehub on my wheel is pretty bad its had a lot of cassettes on it so if I keep using it, will it damage anything else on the wheel. It has had constant use daily on my rides to work so is due a replacement really lasted over 3 years use so far.
    Go for the steel one... I have it for my road hub and it's so much better

yes I'm thinking to buy the steel one be a better value replacement in the long term as these pro 2 evo's just seem to keep on going with regular maintenance.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    swod1 wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

Great so if I order the hub523 steel freehub, I can still in the future fit an 11speed mtb cassette. sjscycles said it wasn't compatible with 11speed?
    11 speed road cassettes are wider, so it isn't compatible with them - This will be what SJS Cycles were saying. 11 speed mountain bike cassettes are the same width as 10 speed though, so you don't have to worry about it.
  • swod1
    whyamihere wrote:
    11 speed road cassettes are wider, so it isn't compatible with them - This will be what SJS Cycles were saying. 11 speed mountain bike cassettes are the same width as 10 speed though, so you don't have to worry about it.

Ah good as I did mention 11speed mountain bike cassette in my question to them.

Lots of spares on that site don't have to buy the full set of wheel bearings either, buy the new freehub which includes the 3 bearings and pawls etc and order the two main axle bearings.

Then my wheel will be like new again, already got a spare front set of bearings for that.

Gets used everyday for about 15miles to work, so a refresh of it all be like a new wheel.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    swod1 wrote:
    The alloy freehub on my wheel is pretty bad its had a lot of cassettes on it so if I keep using it, will it damage anything else on the wheel. It has had constant use daily on my rides to work so is due a replacement really lasted over 3 years use so far.
    It won't/can't damage anything else, just keep using it, seems silly to spend money and add weight for no material advantage.

Ironically some Novatech hubs (much cheaper) have a steel insert on one spline (the fat one) to act as a bite guard, why much more expensive hubs can't do similar is beyond me.

I have a 2009 Superstar (Novatech) hub, on it's fourth cassette, it was well chewed up after the first cassette but hasn't got much worse since (if you use alloy spider cassettes it obviously helps a lot).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sparquin
    sparquin Posts: 69
    swod1 wrote:
    Lots of spares on that site don't have to buy the full set of wheel bearings either, buy the new freehub which includes the 3 bearings and pawls etc and order the two main axle bearings.

Then my wheel will be like new again, already got a spare front set of bearings for that.

Gets used everyday for about 15miles to work, so a refresh of it all be like a new wheel.

So you're already planning to overhaul the hub? I'd replace the freehub at the same time (this is just my thought process, though) because . . .

- If you're ever going to do it, it makes sense to do it while you're replacing the other bearings, and

- The freehub will eventually get chewed up to the extent that it's a pain getting the cassette off, so you'll probably want to replace it then anyway.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    It won't/can't damage anything else, just keep using it, seems silly to spend money and add weight for no material advantage.

Ironically some Novatech hubs (much cheaper) have a steel insert on one spline (the fat one) to act as a bite guard, why much more expensive hubs can't do similar is beyond me.

I have a 2009 Superstar (Novatech) hub, on it's fourth cassette, it was well chewed up after the first cassette but hasn't got much worse since (if you use alloy spider cassettes it obviously helps a lot).

As its a wear n tear part, I've been buying them cheaper 11-42t Chinese made ones as there cheap with two chains and swapping between both every so often been working well but just makes a mess of the freehub, its only the 9-10th gear that's loose and bites into the freehub.
    Sparquin wrote:
    So you're already planning to overhaul the hub? I'd replace the freehub at the same time (this is just my thought process, though) because . . .

- If you're ever going to do it, it makes sense to do it while you're replacing the other bearings, and

- The freehub will eventually get chewed up to the extent that it's a pain getting the cassette off, so you'll probably want to replace it then anyway.

I will replace at some point but taking into consideration other forum member points its not that bad to need replacement like now, the money can be better spent elsewhere.