Voodoo Hoodoo or Bizango Decisions

Jimx26
Jimx26 Posts: 147
edited April 2019 in MTB buying advice
Evening All,

Looking for a bit of advice to make sure I’ve made the right decision on my next bike purchase.
I originally had my heart set in a bizango as it seems to be the best bang for buck in my price range. The type of riding I’ll be doing is mainly countryside towpaths and fire roads. My trail riding is sadly over after destroying my shoulder at Cannock Chase 6 years ago.
I went to Halfords last week and sat on a 20” Bizango, I’m 6ft and it felt a little big, the surprisingly knowledgeable staff member agreed it was probably too big as well. They didn’t have an 18” so sat on an 18” hoodoo but that felt a little cramped. Finally sat on the 20” hoodoo and it felt a lot better.
I changed my mind and decided to order the Hoodoo in 20” however I can’t help but have this nagging feeling that for an extra £75 (after discounts) the Bizango represents better vfm. So BR, is the Bizango that much better than the Hoodoo and worth the extra money considering the type of riding I do? I’ve tried to find an 18” Bizango but nowhere has one so if I changed my mind I’d be buying the Bizango blind.

Links to both bikes
https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... reId=10001
https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... ogId=10151

Comments

• Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    oxoman wrote:
    The Bizango as a 29er is as you say better VFM. The hoodoo will do everything you want but with lower spec and weighing in at 1,5kg or so more. Personally I'd probably be getting the Bizango purely for the weight and better forks for the riding I do. I thought halfords should be able to get one in for you to try without commitment to buying it. Sorry if I've made your decision harder.

Thanks, very helpful I’d forgotten about the weight. Going to go to a bigger store later to see if they have an 18”.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    If the don't have the 18in Bizango, the other (lower spec) 29ers from Voodoo that Halfords carry have the same frame so you might be able to sit on one of those to get a feel for it. That's what I did (5ft8, 18in Bizango)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)