SRAM cassette with XT

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited March 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I’ve just got a new set of wheels, DT E1700’s from On One. They were advertised as having a Shimano freehub despite the pictures showing an XD drive hub. As it turns out they’ve come with the XD hub (despite the bag in the box saying they’re Shimano!).

So, I’m changing from 10 to 11 speed anyway and haven’t bought a cassette yet but do have an XT mech and shifter. So would a sram 10-42 cassette work with the XT mech? Would I also need a sram chain?

Comments

• tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    yep, works fine
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    You can also use whatever chain you like. I use Sram or KMC, the joining pin with Shimano chains is a bit of a pain.
  • wilkij1975
    Cheers for the replies. I thought it would work. If I’d already bought a cassette I’d send the wheels back but as I haven’t and if it’s going to work there seems no point. At least with the sram cassette I will get a 10t cog.
  • wilkij1975
    Cheers for the replies. I thought it would work. If I’d already bought a cassette I’d send the wheels back but as I haven’t and if it’s going to work there seems no point. At least with the sram cassette I will get a 10t cog.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    The preferred rule of thumb is same brand/speed shifter and rear mech and ideally the same brand chain and cassette. You don't have to get a SRAM chain, as long as it is a suitable substitute (i.e KMC). From what I've been told, a SRAM cassette is less likely to agree with a Shimano chain. I've never tried it so don't know for sure.

I run mixed set-ups on my HT and FS based on the above with no issues.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Shimano chains stretch more easily I have found. Stick with a decent chain like the x series from KMC in either extra light or super light and they last ages.

I think they now make 12 speeds chains too.

I don't think I have ever used all the same brand drivetrain parts.
  • ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    swod1 wrote:
    Shimano chains stretch more easily I have found. Stick with a decent chain like the x series from KMC in either extra light or super light and they last ages.

I think they now make 12 speeds chains too.

I don't think I have ever used all the same brand drivetrain parts.
    I had a shimano chain that lasted less than 300miles and then had to replace it.