Shimano claris front mech with 11 speed set up

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited March 2019 in Workshop
Does anyone know if a claris front mech will still work with an 11 speed set up?

Thanks

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The cable pull for the rear mechs changed with the move to 11 speed but I don't know about the fronts

I'm sure the Shimano compatibility charts will say it's a no-no.

Curious to know why you're contemplating it when an 11 speed FD is not exactly £££s
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    The cage will be wider, so you may struggle getting good shifting even if the pull ratio is the same.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    As mentuioned, an 11sp chain (which you'll need to run the 11sp cassette) is narrower than 9 and 10 speed chains, (although only fractionally) so there will be increased clearance between the chain and the FD cage. However on a double/compact setup you'll be adjusting inner and outer stops so shifting should be ok. If you're intending to run an 11sp chainset then cable pull won't be an issue, as, due to the narrower chain, the chainrings are closer together - maybe 1mm closer together than on a 9sp chainset. But I'd agree with keef, an 11sp mech is cheap enough when put against all the other parts needed - unless your intended use is a temporary replacement for an 11sp mech?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Thanks guys.
    My dad is changing his groupset and was trying to cheat and leave the claris front mech. But think you're right, might as well replace that with the rest of the groupset.

Thanks again