Speed limiting cars by 2022

2»

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Wouldn't it be easier and avoid the valid concerns expressed here just to site a shed load of hidden speed cameras and make people self regulate?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    But that would be a war on motorists and spark lots of badly written letters to the local papers. No government wants that.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Years ago most insurance companies would offer a substantial discount if the driver had passed the IAM test, it was made clear at renewal time IIRC, and a good incentive to improve your driving. It was the only way I could afford to run a sports car in my twenties.
    It was a good idea, I'm not even sure if it still exists, but maybe it should.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I pretty much drive everywhere using my speed limiter so if anything will make my life easier not perpetually nudging it up and down. I find it easier than perpetually worrying about what speed I'm doing and possible cameras as it does drift up and down if you drive to perceived conditions.
    However, the practical problem with driving like this is overtaking is dangerous. E.g. when you want to pass a vehicle doing 50 on a 60mph single carriageway. Passing as quickly as possible at 70 or whatever is less dangerous than gradually edging past at 60 IMHO.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    morstar wrote:
    ........... overtaking is dangerous. E.g. when you want to pass a vehicle doing 50 on a 60mph single carriageway. Passing as quickly as possible at 70 or whatever is less dangerous than gradually edging past at 60 IMHO.

Then don't overtake? Most overtaking is completely pointless as i have found as you soon find yourself behind a car/van/lorry going even slower and the person you overtook moments ago is now sitting on your bumper. Roads are so congested that limiting speed is a good solution. Just accept "ya ain't goin' nowhere fast!"

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• PhotoNic69 wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    ........... overtaking is dangerous. E.g. when you want to pass a vehicle doing 50 on a 60mph single carriageway. Passing as quickly as possible at 70 or whatever is less dangerous than gradually edging past at 60 IMHO.

Then don't overtake? Most overtaking is completely pointless as i have found as you soon find yourself behind a car/van/lorry going even slower and the person you overtook moments ago is now sitting on your bumper. Roads are so congested that limiting speed is a good solution. Just accept "ya ain't goin' nowhere fast!"

That's one of the main reasons I no longer drive recreationally. Used to enjoy motoring but it's become so gay now. Quite literally in some cases where someone is driving so close behind me that if the driver had an erection, in my anus is where it will go!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    morstar wrote:

It's a good point - a quick exceeding of the limit can get you past - and whilst you may be of the opinion that it doesn't get you anywhere, it can do... like when you're both approaching a slower vehicle (in the distance) and you've judged that they won't attempt an overtake - a quick safe blast now, then nip past the slower vehicle next opportunity ..

It'll be fine if the system just warns you as you can ignore it for a few seconds ... but if it limits it, it could be a PITA until you get used to it.

I drove a minibus fitted with a limiter last summer - it was mostly ok, but on the dual carriageway it was a PITA as I had to judge if I could get past the slower vehicles sensibly whilst being limited - not something I was used to doing...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

That's one of the main reasons I no longer drive recreationally. Used to enjoy motoring but it's become so gay now. Quite literally in some cases where someone is driving so close behind me that if the driver had an erection, in my anus is where it will go!

Not acceptable to use the term gay as a pejorative.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    We will probably have black boxes fitted to older cars to establish what speed we are doing and where, which I think will be a good thing. If you can't keep to some simple rules of the highway then perhaps you shouldn't be allowed on it.... but given the amount of drivers who injure and kill cyclists who "get away with it" in the eyes of the law, then anything that reduces speed and awareness of ones own driving can only be a good thing.
    The above can easily be achieved while within the speed limit.
    It may prevent speeding but it will not improve driving standards.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.

• That's one of the main reasons I no longer drive recreationally. Used to enjoy motoring but it's become so gay now. Quite literally in some cases where someone is driving so close behind me that if the driver had an erection, in my anus is where it will go!

Not acceptable to use the term gay as a pejorative.

Yeah but I do. I wasn't actually calling anybody gay so nobody was insulted or pejoratised. In this case I used that word because of the analogy (lol anal) I chose.