Good wheel-on trainer - worth upgrade to direct drive?

Hello, I have very good wheel-on smart trainer - Tacx Genius T2080 with also descents simulation, ANT+/BT connection, power/speed/cadence monitoring, zwift compatible etc - it's good. According to manufacturer, accuracy is +/-5%, but after tests with external cad/power meter in crank arm, I can say, that "measurement error" is about 10% (FTP test on internal power meter = 290 W, on external = 250 W, big difference).

This trainer is very good, and also it isn't too loud. I consider exchange to direct drive smart trainer like Wahoo Kick or Tacx Neo. These trainers are more accurate, maybe quieter... But, is it worth it? I can sell current trainer, multiple this by two (or three!) and then buy direct drive trainer. I have only one bike with two wheelsets (CX bike, wheels with tyres for road and also for gravel/cx) and afraid, that trainer will be require some derailleur adjustments avery exchange.

I know, that wheel-on trainers have some problems with tyre slippage on high power / small cadence, but it was important only if I use low gears on bike. With higers and ERG on Zwift, everything will good.
So... is it worth it? What can I gain from direct drive trainer?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    More accuracy if you get a good one.
    No tyre wear.
    Quieter.

Is that worth it to you ? You'd need to be a heavy user to get the benefit really.

I have a stac zero and a powermeter on the bike so I get all three benefits but the turbo was cheaper.
  • Oh, I forgot to write something important - I have external power meter (Watteam Powerbeat as crank arm) so... trainer accuracy isn't important, because I want to use this external power meter on Zwift / during workouts, to make differences between real riding as small, as possible.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There you go then. Stac Zero would sort you. It's a dumb trainer in the base version but all you need.
  • I checked this and it isn't good option - only Halcon supports resistance control etc. and it's about 600 eur + VAT (I'm from UE). Too much for something "exotic solution" like this.
  • Balazsgal
    Balazsgal Posts: 65
    Went from a tacx vortex to a kickr 2018,would never ever wanna go back wheel on,unreal difference in every aspect.+1 for what and how often use the trainer though,most of the times these days I'm on the turbo 5 times a week due time shortage.if the money is there and not just caught by the hype train,but actually you going to use it what it's designed for,you won't regret it ever.go for it
  • Like has already been stated (but I'll +1 it) no tyre wear or slip, plus less noise. If either of those two are an issue for you then the upgrade will be worth it. The "feel" is also much nicer (personal preference) on direct drive. Money allowing, I'd never go back to a wheel-on trainer now.

Both the NEO and latest-gen KICKR are awesome trainers. You could check out the KICKR CORE for a more budget friendly direct-drive smart trainer too. I have no experience with that one though so can't pass comment.
  • ali69er
    ali69er Posts: 35
    I am really keen to get a direct drive trainer but would use it with my wife. Sadly we would need two cassettes as she has fewer gears. I am wondering what a pain it would be swapping the cassettes over and whether in time it would cause undue wear to the trainer.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    ali69er wrote:
    I am really keen to get a direct drive trainer but would use it with my wife. Sadly we would need two cassettes as she has fewer gears. I am wondering what a pain it would be swapping the cassettes over and whether in time it would cause undue wear to the trainer.

The only risk would be cross threading the cassette lock ring.
    If you change them properly (with a chain whip etc) then it won't put any stress or additional wear on the turbo.

Or you could upgrade the wife's bike :lol:
  • I and a mate both stumped up the cash for a neo each while on special at wiggle in Feb this year. We read the reviews, ummd and ahhhd, worried about potential for unusual noises and sending back etc etc
    2 months later, both neos work like a charm and when combined with zwift fondo workouts have transformed our early season stats.
    Its quieter more natural feel, and the road feel and the ability to do zwift workouts to power make it a great package. I almost wonder if my annual indoor cycling hours will beat my outdoor hours!
    It's expensive but i hope to get many years out of it (fingers crossed), so the avg cost sets my mind at ease.
    Go for it. If you get a good un you went regret it.