cleat stuck to pedal...

shalant
shalant Posts: 16
edited March 2019 in Workshop
dumb thing happened today. my spd cleat is stuck to the pedal, ergo, my shoe is hanging on the pedal while it's put away. i'm pretty sure one of the 2 screws came out, so when i rotate the shoe, the cleat rotates as well. there is no access to the screws in the present situation. any solutions? i also tried to take out the sole to access the cleat on the other side, but just see the business end of the screw. i don't know how to remedy this.

thanks in advance,

doug

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Needle nose pliers and safety glasses on and brute force ?
  • siddy1972
    siddy1972 Posts: 180
    I’m assuming it’s a 2 bolt cleat. Depending on the depth (if any) of the sole, could you remove the pedal from the bike, and spin the pedal in relation to the shoe?
    If you wedge a screwdriver between pedal and shoe, you may be able to to create enough friction between screw and cleat to undo it as you spin the pedal.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,203
    This happened to me once. 2 bolt SPD cleat. Trying to remember how I sorted it out, must have been 15+ years ago.

I think it must have been brute force lever it off using a big screwdriver blade. Did not have to take off the pedal. Guess will depend on how tight you set your SPDs as to how much play and force needed, mine are rel loose clip out.

Good luck. Reminder to self: check those bolts.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I have had this in the past. Just use a screwdriver as a lever to rotate the cleat in the pedal to trigger the release mechanism.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    wongataa wrote:
    I have had this in the past. Just use a screwdriver as a lever to rotate the cleat in the pedal to trigger the release mechanism.
    If it's SPD then you should be able to use the screwdriver to lever the springy bit apart enough to get the cleat out. If you can get to the tension adjustment screw, slacken that off as much as you can first.
    Have a look at the pedal on the other side to see how it works.