R7000 with campag cassette

superbug1980
superbug1980 Posts: 43
edited April 2019 in Workshop
Anyone using Shimano 105 with Campag cassette, any worse shifting? Need a groupset upgrade and debating going this way or Campag Centaur. Dont want to shell out for new bits and to find out it doesnt work!

cheers

Comments

• No experience, but some Googling found this which suggests that it will be OK https://fitwerx.com/campagnolo-shimano-and-sram-11-speed-wheel-compatiblity/.

I'm guessing you're on Veloce 10 speed at the moment? You will have to get an 11 speed cassette.

I would get the Centaur though, unless you prefer the Shimano levers (I don't)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    No personal experience; I'm still on 9 and 10 speed stuff :D

Lots of people say it works OK, but a few purists / perfectionists claim it's not 100% spot-on.

If you try it and you're not happy with the result can you swap your freehub from Campag to Shimano?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you buy campag stick to campag cassettes. If your buying Shimano use Shimano cassettes.

Equivalent cassettes with the correct spacing are fine. Campagnolo are Shimano cases are spacing for 11 speed maybe close but it's not the same
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • No experience, but some Googling found this which suggests that it will be OK https://fitwerx.com/campagnolo-shimano-and-sram-11-speed-wheel-compatiblity/.

I'm guessing you're on Veloce 10 speed at the moment? You will have to get an 11 speed cassette.

I would get the Centaur though, unless you prefer the Shimano levers (I don't)

I’m on Shimano 105 10 speed at the mo which really doesn’t work well with campy (even with a shiftmate). I thought all 11 speed works together ok but I know Shimano redesigned the derailliers for r7000 and don’t know if it changes things. Using q rings aswell but don’t think that matters
  • keef66 wrote:
    No personal experience; I'm still on 9 and 10 speed stuff :D

Lots of people say it works OK, but a few purists / perfectionists claim it's not 100% spot-on.

If you try it and you're not happy with the result can you swap your freehub from Campag to Shimano?

Can’t swap to Shimano freehub as the wheels I have are no longer in production and can’t get a new freehub. My last Shimano freehub died and Spin wheels kindly found me a campy freehub but that’s all they had.
  • If you buy campag stick to campag cassettes. If your buying Shimano use Shimano cassettes.

Equivalent cassettes with the correct spacing are fine. Campagnolo are Shimano cases are spacing for 11 speed maybe close but it's not the same

Yeah I think that would bother me that I would be investing in a new groupset and the shifting was not as good as it could be. There is the standard solution of new bike I guess :)
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    I’m running a Shimano Ultegra cassette with a 2016 Campagnolo Chorus Groupset and Chain. Shifts perfectly. Got Campagnolo Groupsets (10 & 11 speed) and cassettes on three other bikes and notice no difference in shifting.
  • From what i have read all 11 speed campag/sram/shimano play nicely together, however im just not sure bout the new R7000 105 with the shadow derailleur. Also i have also read somewhere that not all 11 speed campag works together now either, potenza shifters cant be used with centaur derailleur and vice versa.

Might just get campag centaur to keep in nice and simple, just need to swap out the brakes aswell as having a campag drivetrain and shimano brakes will send my OCD tendancies over the edge!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The R7000 RD didn't bring different cable pull / actuation ratios so it should work as well with a Campag 11 speed cassette as 5800 / 6800 did.

If you have an OCD itch to scratch it seems your options are either full Campag groupset or full R7000 groupset + a new Shimano compatible rear wheel.

But in the latter case you'd want a matching front, so you're looking at a new wheelset.

So unless your current Campag wheels are worn out, it seems the Centaur option makes more sense?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Campag 11 speed cross compatibility is a bit of a minefield - early 11 speed used different pull ratios, potenza has different spring weight so only 'sort of' works with other shifters etc etc - definitely better matching if you can.

I've just bought a Centaur gearset recently, shifters, derailleurs and brakes to replace a 5800 set up on one of my other bikes (which I'm going to trickle down to a bike still on tiagra) - intending to use it with shimano cassettes because they are considerably cheaper and all my wheels have shimano freehubs - will let you know how I get on in a few weeks.

If nothing else the Centaur shifters save 100g in weight over the shimano equivalent (although across the groupset this is offset by eg heavier chainset weight, but I'm using my existing power2max cranks anyway...) so I'm saving a respectable bit of weight on the bike.
  • keef66 wrote:
    The R7000 RD didn't bring different cable pull / actuation ratios so it should work as well with a Campag 11 speed cassette as 5800 / 6800 did.

If you have an OCD itch to scratch it seems your options are either full Campag groupset or full R7000 groupset + a new Shimano compatible rear wheel.

But in the latter case you'd want a matching front, so you're looking at a new wheelset.

So unless your current Campag wheels are worn out, it seems the Centaur option makes more sense?

Its good that 105 should work with a campag cassette. My brakes and pedals are 105 so it keeps it uniform there. if i went campag, i would have to change at least the brakes (could probably live with the pedals if i dont look at them!)
  • TimothyW wrote:
    Campag 11 speed cross compatibility is a bit of a minefield - early 11 speed used different pull ratios, potenza has different spring weight so only 'sort of' works with other shifters etc etc - definitely better matching if you can.

I've just bought a Centaur gearset recently, shifters, derailleurs and brakes to replace a 5800 set up on one of my other bikes (which I'm going to trickle down to a bike still on tiagra) - intending to use it with shimano cassettes because they are considerably cheaper and all my wheels have shimano freehubs - will let you know how I get on in a few weeks.

If nothing else the Centaur shifters save 100g in weight over the shimano equivalent (although across the groupset this is offset by eg heavier chainset weight, but I'm using my existing power2max cranks anyway...) so I'm saving a respectable bit of weight on the bike.

Ive got rotor cranks and q rings so not an issue there, will be interested to see how you get on. the weight saving is defo an added bonus!
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    TimothyW wrote:

Ive got rotor cranks and q rings so not an issue there, will be interested to see how you get on. the weight saving is defo an added bonus!
    OK I rode Centaur gears with Shimano 11-32 cassette (and a SRAM chain as it happens) for a few days last week, no problems at all - rather liked it in fact!

Brake feel is excellent. Downshift (mouse ear) is nice. Upshift is better on shimano, but I'm still getting used to it!

So yeah, happy with the change so far.