Buy a cheap hybrid, or pay slightly more?

Moominman2
Moominman2 Posts: 389
edited March 2019 in Commuting general
Hi guys,

I’m currently walking to work as I decided to sell my car to save some cash for a mortgage (boring).

The walk is only around 2.5miles each way so it’s not that bad- although, I can’t help but feel a bike would save me some time for when I have early starts.

I have a couple of roadies, but it doesn’t seem worth putting Lycra on for 2.5 miles, hence why I’m looking at a cheap hybrid.

I’ve been offered a Trek 7100 for around £70. It’s supposidly in “excellent condition”. It’s not a great looking thing, but would serve a purpose. I do plan on using it over the summer in my free time- I’ll be buying another cheap bike for my girlfriend so we can go on a few leisurely rides (nothing serious).

Is it worth just buying this, or would I be better off spending a bit more to get a cannondale bad boy/ boardman comp or similar? I’m looking for a flat bar ideally- not looking to use clipless pedals.

FYI- I’d be riding along the river on paths for most of it. A few roads but no muddy or Rocky Mountains here!

Just after opinions please.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• It's not compulsory to wear lycra when cycling a road bike. 2.5 miles is a short commute. Any basic bike will do especially if there is a risk of theft. Knowing how secure the bike will be at the work end to a degree dictates how much you should spend. If there are multiple bikes stored at your workplace always best to have one that looks rougher and lower value than the others. If its about saving money keep the bike basic and strong so you don't have to spend time and money regularly sorting it out or replacing parts.
  • Moominman2
    Fair point with the Lycra comment.

I think I may just change the pedals on my Trek during the week then. It’s only a Trek 2.1 and I’ve had it a few years...don’t want to tempt fate, but I’d be surprised if it was nicked from my workplace. You have to go right into our area to find them.

Just thought it would be nice to have something with wider tyres, but the Trek should be ok to go on paths.

Thanks for the advice- please feel free to add more, anyone.
  • A quick look shows the Trek 2.1 to be a pretty lightweight road bike. Nothing wrong with using that for your commute but you'd need to work out if that is correct for your commute, i.e. state of the roads, any off road sections (parks etc), how busy the traffic is on the commute (will it give you enough spacial awareness in your riding position).

I often think if you haven't got hills on your commute a fixed gear bike is the best bike for commuting. Super simple drivetrain so extremely reliable in all weathers with very little maintenance, no gears to think about amongst traffic. Your speed is always controlled completely by your cadence. Upright riding position on most fixed gear bikes. Means a short commute can improve fitness greatly as fixed gears give more of a workout. Thieves often don't know how to ride fixed gear bikes or don't realise they have stolen one and could cause themselves a nasty injury. They stop very quickly and skidding can easily be performed. Very easy to convert a bike to a fixed gear bike with cheap parts. Good for all weather cyclists not just fair weather cyclists.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Was going to suggest what you've already concluded. For a 2.5 mile commute stick some flat pedals on one of your road bikes and tuck your trousers into your socks.

Only reservation would be if the paths are wet / muddy you risk spraying yourself with crap...
  • Moominman2
    Thanks guys- really appreciate the comments.

I did look at a fixed gear, so I may hold off until a decent one comes up second hand.

For now, I’ll just use my Trek as suggested.

As I said, I do plan on cycling with my girlfriend during the summer. These will be light trails, nothing serious. Obviously the Trek couldn’t manage this, but I’ll look at getting something better nearer the time I reckon.

Thanks for all your replies.

Luke
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Alternatively, get a beater off ebay. A decent steel framed ATB could be yours for less than £50 and you can do what you like with it.

My mate at work does that, he's on his third Saracen branded bike now since I've known him. Once it gets uneconomic to fix he skips it and gets another, fine for a 3 mile each way commute.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    2.5 miles - ride whatever you've got with whatever you've got on it - in work clothes too - the only addition I'd make would be some mudguards.
    I ride 4 miles on a CX - ok, its got rack and guards on it - but with SPD pedals - I just wear normal footwear - it's not like I'm going for segments or anything...