Trousers for commuting

Cheeseface22
Cheeseface22 Posts: 133
edited October 2019 in Commuting general
For the last two years, I've had this for the winter:

B'TWIN 500 URBAN WATERPROOF CYCLING OVERTROUSERS - BLACK £14.99

big_1534583.jpg

Cheap as chips, water proof, and it even has integrated shoe covers! It's not intended for, but I just wear that over my boxers and it keeps my legs and feet warm during the winter (due to the lack of breath-ability).

But it's starting to fall apart and it's starting to get to hot / sweaty for this time of the year. It's still cold enough in the morning for shorts yet.

So I'm in the market for the cheap trousers for commuting:
- must be at least splash proof. Waterproof is desirable.
- shoe cover is also desirable, but I can always get overshoes if need be.

Any alternative trousers to this Decathlon's for a cheapskate?

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Any reason why you want splash/waterproof?

I've got a pair of waterproof trousers in my kit draw - I can't remember the last time I wore them (I didn't buy them either - cast off from my brother!)
    Admittedly I don't ride in if I'm going to get soaked - but I don't mind getting wet on the way back - so I tend to just wear the "normal" lycra stuff - longs most of the time, but moving to 3qtrs now.
  • Good question: to avoid getting soaked in the rain. My commute is 14.5 miles (55-60min) each way so if it rains, I get wet.

I am lucky enough to decide to "work from home" anytime, so I've avoided commuting in rain most of the time. But I realised I get a lot more work done at the office so I don't want rain to stop me commuting. And up my mileage and get my exercise and all that. So I want something at least with splash proof so that I don't get soaked to the bone. And keep my socks dry.

Having said that, I think I only used my waterproof jacket 10-15 times in the last two years and only one day so far this year (I'm nearing to 1,000 miles this year so far). I can only remember maybe 5 times in the last two years that I got absolutely soaked in surprise downpour. I seem to miss heavy rain on either to or from work a lot of the time.

So, maybe I don't need 100% waterproof material. But a "splashproof" material?

I never tried those bibs or cycling tights... Mountain bike trousers?
  • slowbike
    yup - get the requirement - but don't you get soaked from the sweat anyway? I would!

These days I go full lycra for my ~10mile commute - ok, I go a little baggy on the jacket - and swap jackets depending on the weather - but I just accept that I may get a little damp if it's wet - I'm lucky enough to be able to hang my kit in the office - so it dries anyway.

Also - I tend not to parade around in my kit - unless caught up in an emergency when I arrive (happened once or twice) and I don't get a chance to change before the rest get in.

If you want to stay drier - then perhaps look at sportful no rain kit - leg warmers, arm warmers - tend to keep the extremities drier.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Do you have proper mudguards on ? You can buy waterproof walking ovwrtrousers for £20 but they'll be very sweaty.

There's a good reason cyclists wear lycra.
  • Thanks both.

I used to have SKS Bluemels and now Crud Roadracer mk3. So I’m covered in that sense.

Decathlon waterproof has been actually good for keeping my legs warm in the winter, and tend not to overheat; just the right amount to retain body heat and not get sweaty. That's in the winter. The transition period between riding in shorts and the waterproof trousers gets tricky, especially in the evenings (i.e. soon). When it's 10+C it does get a bit sweaty and sticks on my thighs, which isn't pleasant at all.

Maybe I can try trousers that are more breathable and splashproof than full on waterproof. Sort of like a tracksuit bottom or soft shell bottom. Or as you suggest, slowbike, shorts all year with knee/leg warmers + overshoes (though a bit too much kit as a keen minimalist).

I’m resisting of giving into lycra. Earlier this year I swore that I’ll never get into clipless (old school toe clips and straps were fine for me), but I gave in and I admit it was a revelation to move on to SPD pedals. So, I know what’s going to happen with me and lycra…

Tomorrow looks like a shorts day.
  • ravit50
    ravit50 Posts: 19
    Regatta Mens Chandler III Waterproof Overtrousers
    Pick em up for under £20 online
    Regatta Mens Chandler III Waterproof Overtrousers - Long Leg
    Packable and breathable rain protection with a soft-touch lining. The Chandler Overtrousers are a classic for all outdoors enthusiasts.
    Made of seam-sealed polyester with Isotex 5,000 weatherproofing technology and a DWR (Durable Water Repellent) finish to keep you dry inside and out. They feature an elasticated waist and adjustable hems for easy on-off. With the Regatta print on the leg.
    Features
    Waterproof and breathable Isotex 5000 coated polyester fabric
    Durable water repellent finish
    Part mesh, part polyester lining
    Taped seams
    Elasticated and drawcord waist
    Zip opening at ankle
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I know you want trousers and I haven't got a recommendation... I just get on with having wet legs. I am back in shorts now (must have been 3 degrees or so this morning). If it's wet and cold I'll wear long tights over bibshorts.

Overshoes for the feet, buff for the face and whatever gloves I can find.
  • Sport on craker, I've been on cargo shorts since last week and it's actually okay.

Last week was pleasant with shorts, both morning (6:45-7:30am) and evening were perfectly warm enough. No winter gloves, no buff, no cap under helmet.

This weeks, it's been a bit chilly in the morning. Car windscreen were frosted on Tuesday morning. MET was stating 4C with Northerly wind 5-15mph. It was cold and a bit shivery to start with (just long sleeve and winter gloves), but I warmed up alright within 10min and was fine the rest of the commute (57min whole way). So I now know I can just about cope in shorts at 5C air temp. Evening was just perfect.

I don't know about shorts in mid winter though. I've got time until the next winter now so I'll see what I can find.
  • slowbike
    If you don't want to do the whole lycra thing you can always do the Lycra legs with baggy shorts over the top - MTB style ... ;)
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I've commuted for years to different places 5 miles -15 miles all year round. I've worn all sorts, like the op in a bid to not have wear lyrcra/bibs
    Joggers/tracksuits even if tapered need either tooking into socks or ankle bands to stop them ripping up n the the chainset.
    Over trousers too sweaty/sticky
    I picked up some cheap Aldi pro Lycra Roubaix tights.
    They look just like skinny black trousers and have served me well. As someone eles said I sometimes pair the leggings with shorts.
    Just like you say I was same with SPD's, overshoes and naprone gloves and it's the same with the Lycra leggings.

I'm now getting more in to cycling, joined a local club rides and as my kit it well worn, I'm looking to build my clothing collection up and will probably go to bibs despite saying I wouldn't - I don't really know why I was reluctant to go bibs sooner, guess no real need but like like toestraps to SPD's I'm sure it'll be a revelation song n winter
    Hopefully when not raining I'll be able to wear casual office wear on the short commute so don't have faff changing once at work, depending if I change jobs, from my current 10 mile commute.
  • mrkev83
    mrkev83 Posts: 184
    Shorts on. Get those leggies out. Maybe consider tights when your legs are red raw with cold. Before that point just man up and enjoy the free leg wash
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/mrkev83

Built for comfort... Not for speed
  • naavt
    naavt Posts: 226
    I know that there's a price consideration on the OP's post, but are there any waterproof jeans that won't break the bank out there?

I'm in the same boat as the OP and decided to commute to work every single day from this year on, but sweat is really an issue so I'm looking into some breathable friendly options and waterproof jeans seems a very good option, albeit the price tag!
  • Was going to comment that my Boardman MTB trousers that have zip off lower legs aren't bad at all, suprisingly breathable and a decent removeable padded liner, but not sure if Halfords are still making them.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    naavt wrote:
    I know that there's a price consideration on the OP's post, but are there any waterproof jeans that won't break the bank out there?

I'm in the same boat as the OP and decided to commute to work every single day from this year on, but sweat is really an issue so I'm looking into some breathable friendly options and waterproof jeans seems a very good option, albeit the price tag!

Anything waterproof isn't going to be very breathable. I love my Shakedry jacket - but its v expensive and paper thin. You couldnt make trousers out of it.

Tbh I'd ride in lycra and change into pants in work if i had a longer commute than I do.
  • Shorts, add legs sub 10 degrees. Worked for me for 10 years, commutes between 8 and 16 mile each way depending on where I was living/working. Can't imagine wearing waterproof trousers.