Advice on new bike

mattdanielc
mattdanielc Posts: 41
edited March 2019 in Commuting general
Hi guys

I'm struggling between 3 bikes so would appreciate some advice. I can afford the most expensive - but is it worth it? i.e. are the parts on the bike worth the extra money it costs?

I commute to work every day. I'll be fitting mudguards and a pannier rack. My bike ride is around 25 minutes, 5 miles (twice a day obviously).

The 3 bikes are:

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/pro ... -grey.html
https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/pro ... b-8.8.html
https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/pro ... b-8.9.html

The bike I am replacing is:

https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/boardman/hybrid-comp-2014 (and this is my only bike)

So you can see these new bikes have better components - although is the 8.6 much of an upgrade over my current bike? Forgive me I'm not really good with specs. The 8.9 has carbon forks and it looks to me like it has the best parts?

I am looking for a bike with as little maintenance as possible as I'm not clued up on bikes.

Would appreciate any advice :) (and please don't offer alternatives - it's just from this choice of 3 for various reasons).

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    The 8.8 looks pretty capable to me, the 8.9 looks like you're paying £200 for another gear.
    Assuming you're buying this on C2W you could use the rest of the money on the mudguards, rack and other bits and bobs.
  • Joe Totale wrote:
    The 8.8 looks pretty capable to me, the 8.9 looks like you're paying £200 for another gear.
    Assuming you're buying this on C2W you could use the rest of the money on the mudguards, rack and other bits and bobs.
    I definitely think the 8.8 is the best deal. I think for an extra £200 you get another gear yes, plus a different groupset (better quality). Not going to lie though the 8.9 is prettier :D In all seriousness though I presume a single gear might be quite important if I'm running a single chain ring?
    oxoman wrote:
    Personally I'd go for the 8.9 as better spec than the others. Carbon forks take a bit of the sting out of the potholes compared to alloy. You will need a pannier rack to suit disc brakes. Single chain ring up front will make servicing easier than 2x9
    Yep the single chain ring is appealing - easier to wash the bike too :D
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    I'd go 8.9 as well, and in fact I think I have last years model, but by a different model name - though I bagged mine in the sales.

The 8.8 will suffice, but for me, the extra spec on the 8.9 would swing it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Maintenance on bikes ...

for 10 miles a day - 50 miles a week - 48 weeks a year = 2400 miles.
    From my perspective - you should expect to have to replace the chain once in the year. The disk brake pads will last a good few years (assuming no contamination) - as will the bearings in the wheelset & headset.

TBH - any of those bikes would be fine - the 8.9 arguably the "best" - but I'm not sure I'd pay the extra £400 over the 8.6 for a commute bike - but then I have other bikes to ride. I'd be more interested in getting a bike that has components that are compatible with my current bikes (or ones I intend to purchase in the near future) - but as this is your only bike and you're not intending to get any more then I'd forget that.

So - my advice, if you are just using it as transport then the 8.6 would work out the cheapest - but the 8.9 would be a nicer ride and as you're asking on here then you've got more than just a transport interest (even if you haven't realised it yet) - so I'd go for the 8.9 ;)
  • Rygar
    Rygar Posts: 18
    Doesnt the 8.8 have single chain ring and 10 gears ?

Im looking at this bike.. anyone own it, whats it like ?
  • Rygar wrote:

I bought the 8.9 in the end - loving it :)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Rygar wrote:

I bought the 8.9 in the end - loving it :)

Glad you took my advice ;)