To tape or glue

2»

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    little tip as well when using tape:

put tape on wheel.

peel ff begining of tape and leave the "tongue" hanging over the edge.

pop tire on.

as you start to peel the backing off, just pull up the tire a couple of inches ahead of where you are peeling - means the backing won't catch and rip.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    some people stick a pencil uber the tub and use that instead of fingers but i can't see the point tbh.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    to tape a tub on should take - from blank, empty wheel to fitted and pumped up tub - about 5 minutes.

easiest thing ever.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Imposter wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    Is new tape needed for every new tyre?

In my experience, yes. Assuming you mean that if you are replacing a tyre, you can't usually use the existing tape..

Yes that's what I meant. I take it the old stuff just peels off easily?

I've only ever used Jantex, which is easy enough to remove. It either comes off with the tyre, or sticks to the rim, or sometimes a bit of both. The newest Jantex tapes with the plastic backing makes tyre fitting very easy - the old paper backings really were a test of patience..

Ok. Another question. If I get a puncture that a squirt of sealant won't fix and I have to fit a spare tub out on the road, assuming the tape comes off with the old tyre is it just a case of putting the new tyre on the rim and riding home slowly so it doesn't roll off?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Pretty much, yes. As mentioned somewhere upthread, a tub under pressure will not roll off the rim easily, even if there is no tape on it - but you certainly don't want to be railing around alpine hairpins at speed without tape on ;)

Just a note on sealant and tubs - some use it, some don't. I prefer not to, on the basis that some tub repairers will not accept a tub for repair if there is sealant in the tube - too messy. In other words, if you have a tub with a puncture that sealant hasn't been able to fix, then sometimes the bin can be the only place for it. Sealant is also not necessarily reliable at high pressures. I have known of tubs that have had punctures, which sealant has fixed - but as soon as the tub is inflated to over 70psi (in one example), it started to blow out again and would only settle when it got below 70 again. 70psi might be fine for some - or useless for others...
  • Matthewfalle
    Shortfall wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    Is new tape needed for every new tyre?

In my experience, yes. Assuming you mean that if you are replacing a tyre, you can't usually use the existing tape..

Yes that's what I meant. I take it the old stuff just peels off easily?

I've only ever used Jantex, which is easy enough to remove. It either comes off with the tyre, or sticks to the rim, or sometimes a bit of both. The newest Jantex tapes with the plastic backing makes tyre fitting very easy - the old paper backings really were a test of patience..

Ok. Another question. If I get a puncture that a squirt of sealant won't fix and I have to fit a spare tub out on the road, assuming the tape comes off with the old tyre is it just a case of putting the new tyre on the rim and riding home slowly so it doesn't roll off?

just either carry a pre-taped spare tub or a roll of tape with you - its the size of a small roll of sellotape so you don't even notice it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    a properly rolled up spare tub doesn'take up much more space than an inner tube so no worries in carrying it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    the MFs aren't really too sure why people are so worried about tubs - they have seen far more problems with tubeless things full of sealant.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    This is why I always use glue.

A friend's 'taped' wheel after his tubular rolled off today - he stayed upright... somehow.

DSC07395.jpg
  • Matthewfalle
    and you are saying a taped tub caused a massive catastrophic wheel failure?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    seriously?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    joe2008 wrote:
    This is why I always use glue.

A friend's 'taped' wheel after his tubular rolled off today - he stayed upright... somehow.

DSC07395.jpg

No mention of the broken rim - that might have had something to do with it, perhaps. Either way, it's possible to roll a glued tub just as well as a taped tub - it all depends on how well it is fitted. Nothing can be read into that pic at all...
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    a properly rolled up spare tub doesn'take up much more space than an inner tube so no worries in carrying it.

Don’t be daft (unless you use MTB inner tube). Try getting a folded 25mm tub close to the size of a standard road inner. If you can find one of those discontinued 22mm Tufo things then maybe, but that was just a get home emergency tub that was useless for normal riding.
  • joe2008

Yep, not taped on securely, it rolled off and we think it got stuck between the wheel and the frame causing the wheel to buckle and snap at speed.

Accidents happen and not always as you expect them to, luckily nobody was hurt.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    I'm not trying to be pedantic for the sake of it but are you absolutely certain that the tub rolled of and caused the wheel failure and not the other way around?
  • Matthewfalle
    joe2008 wrote:

Yep, not taped on securely, it rolled off and we think it got stuck between the wheel and the frame causing the wheel to buckle and snap at speed.

so he didn't tape his tub on properly and you are blaming the tape and not operator error?

result would have been the same if he hadn't glued it on properly

taping is fine - he just needs to do it properly.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 wrote:

so he didn't tape his tub on properly and you are blaming the tape and not operator error?

I agree, user error for sure. I'd still rather have a tub glued on.
    Shortfall wrote:
    I'm not trying to be pedantic for the sake of it but are you absolutely certain that the tub rolled of and caused the wheel failure and not the other way around?

Definitely tub rolled off and caused the wheel failure; you could basically peel of the tub without any effort.

We then had a look at his front wheel, and I took that tubular off too, with no effort at all.
  • imposter2.0
    joe2008 wrote:
    We then had a look at his front wheel, and I took that tubular off too, with no effort at all.

Presumably he did actually remove the backing from the tub tape before fitting..?
  • joe2008
    Imposter wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:

Presumably he did actually remove the backing from the tub tape before fitting..?

Yes, it was slightly sticky.
  • Matthewfalle
    joe2008 wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:

I agree, user error for sure. I'd still rather have a tub glued on.
    Shortfall wrote:

Definitely tub rolled off and caused the wheel failure; you could basically peel of the tub without any effort.

seems that he may not be too good at this.

can you keep an eye on him?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    joe2008 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:

'slightly sticky' doesn't sound right. Tub tape is usually 'very' or 'extremely' sticky, ime. I'd be interested to know what tape it was...?
  • joe2008
    Imposter wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:

'slightly sticky' doesn't sound right. Tub tape is usually 'very' or 'extremely' sticky, ime. I'd be interested to know what tape it was...?

He'd just brought the wheels second hand with tubs fitted and made the criminal error of riding them without checking how securely they were fitted.

They are older wheels (circa 2010) with very little use, practically as new, the tubs may have been fitted years ago and not used... could the tape have dried up over time?

I think he got off lightly with a broken rim... if it had been the front one, on a fast descent...
  • Matthewfalle
    joe2008 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:

He'd just brought the wheels second hand with tubs fitted and made the criminal error of riding them without checking how securely they were fitted.

They are older wheels (circa 2010) with very little use, practically as new, the tubs may have been fitted years ago and not used... could the tape have dried up over time?

I think he got off lightly with a broken rim... if it had been the front one, on a fast descent...

ah - so old tape of unknown provenance and application or reason for being applied (the seller could just have popped some old taped tubs on to sell the wheels, told this to your mate who in the euphoria of new wheels ignored or forgot about it and went riding on tubs that weren't meant to be ridden on.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    could have happened with glue.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    so basically no reason at all to not use tape.

operator error.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • joe2008
    could have happened with glue.

Yep, could have. I guess it's a good lesson learned, and gotten away with... just damaged goods and pride.
  • Matthewfalle
    exactly my friend, exactly.

laugh in the face of death and pain, walk away and flick it the bird.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    I used to glue as I preferred the bond I got with it. But then I discovered this tape

https://road.cc/content/review/169313-e ... a-tub-tape

Really is a game changer for me

The downside of tape is that you have to get the rim surface perfectly clean to re tape. Also it’s tougher to remove and then re fit the same tub. The plus side is that the process is much quicker than gluing a tub.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift