Opinion: Trek Emonda ALR 5 vs Giant Defy Advanced 2

fredroad
fredroad Posts: 29
edited March 2019 in Road buying advice
Hello there,

I want to upgrade from my Defy Aluxx 105 (2013) and have narrowed down to two bikes.

Trek emonda ALR 5 disc full 105 hydro and the Giant Defy Advanced 2 105 mix and semi hydro giant connect disc.

I like the idea of carbon, but not sure about the super ugly giant connect disc break. On the other hand, the Trek frame is Aluminium.

Please can you share your thoughts and experiences? Is it better the full 105 disc or carbon frame with 105 mixed group set?

Thank you.

Comments

• yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Whats the reason to go from alu to alu? save your money until you afford some real upgrade.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Tough one this, as much as I really enjoyed the ALR Emonda, but I do think I'd opt for the Giant.
    I think the hoods / shifters are the same. I wouldn't be worried about the Giant brakes personally.
    Not sure you have a like for like in bike geometry though, the Emonda would align next to the Giant TCR and the Trek Domane would be nearer the Giant Defy. The Deft also comes with a non series chainset, but again I'd be ok with that and would use it until it was ready to be replaced (105 is cheap enough to replace it with).
  • fredroad
    YiannisM wrote:
    Whats the reason to go from alu to alu? save your money until you afford some real upgrade.
    I want to upgrade my commute bike to disc breaks.

I’m wondering how the giant carbon would compare to the trek ALR. I think weight wise they are similar.

Thanks
  • fredroad
    w00dster wrote:
    Tough one this, as much as I really enjoyed the ALR Emonda, but I do think I'd opt for the Giant.
    I think the hoods / shifters are the same. I wouldn't be worried about the Giant brakes personally.
    Not sure you have a like for like in bike geometry though, the Emonda would align next to the Giant TCR and the Trek Domane would be nearer the Giant Defy. The Deft also comes with a non series chainset, but again I'd be ok with that and would use it until it was ready to be replaced (105 is cheap enough to replace it with).
    I would prefer a more ‘relaxed’ geometry because this is to replace my commute bike. I have a giant propel that I use at the weekends.

I tried the Domane and found it too ‘relaxed’ and I thought the emonda would be somewhere between Defy and Domane.

Is your preference based on the geometry?

Cheers.