What to do with a Giant SCR frame?

MissedTheBreak
MissedTheBreak Posts: 173
edited March 2019 in Workshop
I have 2007 Giant SCR3 Road frame that I don’t want to get rid of as it was the bike that got me into cycling and is still in fairly good condition. I have a weekend bike and a commuting bike, both road so takes care of most requirements.

I fancy a bit of a project and therefore am thinking I’ll either convert it to 1x8, singlespeed or as a dedicated TT bike for the odd thrash out and maybe an event or two.

The chainset is knackered so needs replacing anyway, as is the front mech, hoping to salvage the rear derailleur and the shifters are okay I think. The cassette should be okay and I have a spare 8spd chain in the shed. I also have a singlespeed conversion kit to replace the cassette that I got cheap from Planet X. I also have a set of bullhorn bars, and plenty of cables etc if needed.

My budget is c£100 and happy to scour fleabay/classifieds etc to build it up slowly. It’s more for sentimentality than anything.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    sounds good, how about a flat bar single speed.

no need for front mech or shifters, just some brake levers and maintenance free fast cruising

£25
  • Thanks

What’s the advantage of a flat bar conversion? Just for a change?

Found a 46t single ring chainset online for £14. Assuming my 8spd chain will fit and I can use my RD as a chain tensioner, buying a flat bar and brake levers should be well under budget.
  • Alejandrosdog
    because its a cracking about town and club run option. and a bit different.
    And well inside your budget.
  • Thanks, will give it a go.

This may be a stupid question but how do you position a front derailleur as a chain guard without a cable? Is there normally enough adjustment in the limit screws? Same question for the rear derailleur.

Ta
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Thanks, will give it a go.

This may be a stupid question but how do you position a front derailleur as a chain guard without a cable? Is there normally enough adjustment in the limit screws? Same question for the rear derailleur.

Ta

To line up the rear mech use 3" of KO'd gear cable threar it through the barrel adjuster and clamp it up as you would normally with the mech in the right position then use the barrel adjuster to line up as you would when indexing the mech. You might be able to do similar with the front mech if there is a cable stop close to the BB.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Great, will see if I can resurrect it all and get the new parts fitted. Bar, brake levers and chainset ordered.

Thanks
  • Alejandrosdog
    Great, will see if I can resurrect it all and get the new parts fitted. Bar, brake levers and chainset ordered.

Thanks

Nice one, remember to post the finished beast :)