corrosion on valve hole on Mavic wheel

sextoke1
sextoke1 Posts: 133
edited March 2019 in Workshop
I remove a tyre and tube from a Mavic wheel and there is corrosion around the valve hole. Just wondering, if there is a treatment to stop the corrosion from getting worse or spreading?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it's a simple alloy rim you could remove any corrosion / deposits with a wire brush and treat with an etching primer then paint to match the original if you are really concerned about appearance. Trickier if it's a silver rim.

I'd personally just brush off any deposits and leave it. Rims are a wear item on rim braked wheels. I'd expect the brake tracks to wear out long before corrosion around a valve hole became an issue.

(You mention removing an innertube, but anyone running a tubeless setup of course might want to keep the valve hole corrosion free...)
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    It's galvanic corrosion between two different metals. It will also happening between the aluminium rim and nipples if they are not the same (aluminium) material.
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • sextoke1
    sextoke1 Posts: 133
    Orlok wrote:
    It's galvanic corrosion between two different metals. It will also happening between the aluminium rim and nipples if they are not the same (aluminium) material.
    Live with it or tape the valve shaft if room allows.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    sand off corrosion

paint with paint

job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.