Bike cleaning with cold water

canoas
canoas Posts: 307
edited March 2019 in Workshop
Got a new kitchen, live in a terraced house, have an outside tap with cold water. There's a slip road at the back of houses on my street where I access my garden garage with bike,now my wife won't let me go in the new kitchen when washing my bikes and i only have a cold water outside tap..................is cold water sufficient to wash a bike for winter/summer? anyone tried? I've always used warm water.

Comments

• orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    canoas wrote:
    Got a new kitchen, live in a terraced house, have an outside tap with cold water. There's a slip road at the back of houses on my street where I access my garden garage with bike,now my wife won't let me go in the new kitchen when washing my bikes and i only have a cold water outside tap..................is cold water sufficient to wash a bike for winter/summer? anyone tried? I've always used warm water.
    Are you crazy to wash your bike with cold water, it will pick a cold outside.! :mrgreen:
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Put hot water in a bucket and take it outside.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    I always manage with muc off and cold water. Occasionally a hose but only VERY gently.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,210
    Never used warm water to wash a bike in more than 50 years.
  • This has just got to be a troll.

The answer is yes, because if you use warm water it will melt the snowflake who asked the question.

Presumably the bike never goes out in the rain.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    None of those supermarket/ car park car valet places use hot water do they?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    canoas wrote:
    my wife won't let me

There's your problem right there....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    whyamihere wrote:

+1
    left the forum March 2023
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Is the OP Bungle in disguise?
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You need a better wife. Or do it when she's not in.
  • canoas
    cougie wrote:
    You need a better wife. Or do it when she's not in.

lol.....but pay the consequences when she gets back! you know I'll leave marks somehow!
  • canoas
    whyamihere wrote:

+1

this seems the only logical solution to me and was my thoughts to begin with, even maybe boil water in a jug mix with outside cold.
  • canoas
    I've looked at the technical information product page on Muc Off's site and there is no mention of using either cold or warm water other than fresh clean water. I've mailed them, I'm interested to see their reply.
  • If it talks like s snowflake and acts like a snowflake then it will be a snowflake.

One of the stupidest threads on any forum...ever.

I'm surprised OP has managed to find himself a wife. Or did mummy do it for him?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    canoas wrote:
    I've looked at the technical information product page on Muc Off's site and there is no mention of using either cold or warm water other than fresh clean water. I've mailed them, I'm interested to see their reply.

Don't forget to ask them whether they recommend holding the sponge in your left hand, or your right hand...
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    canoas wrote:

Aww hen, it will make your hands cold.
  • tomb57
    tomb57 Posts: 2,043
    Sorry had to leave the forum and think about this , is this question real ?...?
    Or have I slipped into a parallel universe I hadn’t known about.
    Oh yes sorry it’s the road forum should have known .
    Sorry
    Whoops who did that!
  • Tomb57 wrote:
    Sorry had to leave the forum and think about this , is this question real ?...?
    Or have I slipped into a parallel universe I hadn’t known about.
    Oh yes sorry it’s the road forum should have known .
    Sorry
    Don't worry.
    The OP is a product of Tony Blair's Education, Education, Education system. He knows fxxx all about sxx all but he's always right.
    He'll be on Facebook as we speak complaining that he gets no help.

What's the betting he has a wispy hipster beard and wears skin tight denim?
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Man up son!! Have you not got a bathroom to clean it in?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Get yourself a Hozelock pressure garden sprayer 7liter is good enough.
    Boil the kettle.
    Fill the sprayer with some of ASDA's best washing up liquid, put in a bit of cold and top with very hot water.
    Instant pressure wash to get the ride gunk off without resource to also using a chemical such as MucOff.
    The pressure spray is not enough to kill grease out of bearings.
  • cougie
    I really don't think hot or cold water makes a blind bit of difference to the bike. But I wash my bike straight after my Sunday ride and warm water is my preference. Especially on days like today where it's felt like 2 degrees the whole day. Cold water after a winter ride ? No thanks.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I was always told if you had the energy to clean your bike after a ride. You hadn’t gone far or hard enough.
  • cougie
    I know from experience that you have to man up and do it whilst it's fresh or it's much worse getting off the next day and the damage has started to be done.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I’m usually too f*cked to care.
  • I suspect that OP's bike when "dirty" is cleaner than my bike when clean!
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    I suspect that OP's bike when "dirty" is cleaner than my bike when clean!
    I suspect the op sucks cranks
  • So. What did Muck Off say?
    Hot or cold?
    Or did they say Muck Off?
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Doesn't carbon fibre dissolve in warm water? I wouldn't risk it.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Man the f up - get the wife to clean it whilst you have a beer ... problem solved!
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    Poke a hole through the kitchen wall and install an outside hot tap. Problem solved.