Handlebar recommendations

drhaggis
drhaggis Posts: 1,150
edited July 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi,

The left drop on the stock handlebar on my Giant Defy 2 got bentin my latest incident. It now has an "inside flare" of about 10 degrees. While I doubt it should be a hazard (comments welcome!), replacing it would make me happier.

The default handlebar is a compact, round, w/ a 31.75mm clam diameter, 80 mm reach & 120 mm drop (may be 125). I'd like a similar replacement, probably slightly narrower (40 cm rather than 42 cm wide). I really dislike (pure aesthetics) one of these angled handlebars like the Ritchey WCS Logic. Browsing Wiggle, my basket now has a Deda zero100 RHM, a 3T ernova, and a Fizik Cyrano R5 Bull. Is there any meaningful difference between these? Do you have another suggestion? Say, the FSA Omega Compact.

It'll all be taped with Lizardskins DSP 2.5mm, as I really liked that tape.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    DrHaggis wrote:
    Hi,

The left drop on the stock handlebar on my Giant Defy 2 got bentin my latest incident. It now has an "inside flare" of about 10 degrees. While I doubt it should be a hazard (comments welcome!), replacing it would make me happier.

The default handlebar is a compact, round, w/ a 31.75mm clam diameter, 80 mm reach & 120 mm drop (may be 125). I'd like a similar replacement, probably slightly narrower (40 cm rather than 42 cm wide). I really dislike (pure aesthetics) one of these angled handlebars like the Ritchey WCS Logic. Browsing Wiggle, my basket now has a Deda zero100 RHM, a 3T ernova, and a Fizik Cyrano R5 Bull. Is there any meaningful difference between these? Do you have another suggestion? Say, the FSA Omega Compact.

It'll all be taped with Lizardskins DSP 2.5mm, as I really liked that tape.

I've used the Bontrager Race VR-C on all my builds over the past 5 years. Find it very comfortable and adequately compact. My Google search has not thrown up a 40cm wide version on offer.

However the slightly more expensive Elite VR-C is available from Pedalon

https://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/bont ... d-bar.html

The reach is slightly longer than you specify (93mm) but that could be adjusted with a new stem if need be. The drop at 124mm is more or less bang on if your required figure is 125 rather than 120
  • RodeBike
    RodeBike Posts: 33
    I replaced the bars on my bike with the FSA Vero compact and they're very good- I couldn't find any difference between them and the Omega, and they were 15 Euros cheaper at the time. Interesting that a few of the reviews I'd read on them was that they're 'heavy', but god only knows what light handlebars weigh, because out of the box they were featherlike to me.

FYI though, I got the 42 but the tops are actually 40, the width seems to be measured at the end of the drops- maybe that's standard, I don't know, but spending most of my time on the tops, they're effectively 40cm bars.
  • drhaggis
    Thanks for your recommendations! I think I'll go for the FSA Omega Compact. I like the shape and it's pretty much a drop in replacement for what I have. The 3T Ernova for 30 quid is tempting, but I don't quite see how the hoods would fit.

EDIT: Bought the 42cm FSA, in the understanding it will be 40cm on the hoods.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I went through a similar process and arrived at the same conclusion. FSA Omega / Vero seemed to give me the reach, drop and shape I wanted at a very reasonable cost. I also went for a narrower 40 cm bar. Can't remember which I went for in the end but I'm very pleased with the result.
  • Leaa
    Leaa Posts: 5
    Hi! Yes, the choice is very personal. I like the FSA Omega Companct very much however I'm a total fan of Deda handlebars, in specific of the RHM. The Zero100 RHM handlebar from Deda has this too and I think this is the best to switch hand positions! What did you choose at the end? Happy with the result?

Ps what kind of stem did you install?
  • stevenb
    stevenb Posts: 717
    Sounds very similar to the Brand x carbon bar sold by Chain Reaction cycles. I have one on my Felt F75 and it’s very well made, light and comfortable with good cable routing contours. Check it out as the measurements seem pretty close to what the bar has.
  • drhaggis
    As stated above, I got the FSA Omega. Quite happy with the shape, and happy with the slighly narrower top width too. Didn't change the stem, though, as it was fine. It's running the stock 100mm Giant Connect. Wrapped it in 2.5mm dark blue lizardskins, to match the frame in proper Velominati style.