Loose Cassette

rakkor
rakkor Posts: 49
edited March 2019 in The workshop
I've got a new Aksium Rear for my commuter and when I fitted a new 105 11 speed cassette and torqued the lock ring, there's about 2mm play in the cassette on the hub. I thought I may have got a 10 speed 105 cassette by mistake, but I counted the gears and there's 11. I'm not supposed to need 1.85mm a spacer with 11 speed but have ordered one to fit - Am I missing something here ?

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Is the lockring on straight? I find them a bit fiddly and sometimes go in at a funny angle so while they do up tightly, they don't do up all the way and seat the cassette snugly.

Have you got all the spacers in between the cogs correctly? Have you missed one off? Are you sure it's 11 speed?

I know these may be stupid questions, but I have been guilty of forgetting these in the past!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Is it an 11-34 cassette? Shimano have made the new 105 and Ultegra 11-34 cassettes fit 10 speed freehubs, meaning to fit them on an 11 speed wheels they also need the 1.85mm spacer.
  • rakkor
    It's an 11-32 5800 Cassette, so quite old, albeit brand new - and lockring is on straight, that was my first though, that I'd cross threaded it. There's not a lot of depth to the thread on the ring and I have marked the flat inside surface of the freehub where it butted up on the initial fit - I'll try a spacer when I get one and see if that resolves it - I'm tempted to swap the cassette of my Sunday bike (Ultegra 5800 11-32 on Krysiums) and see if there's the same issue
  • rakkor
    I figured it out - The inner facing plate on the freehub wasn't wound all the way in so the bottom of the lock ring was butting up against it and stopping it from being fully tightened. This was after messing about with a spacer which when fitted (the fact it's keyed and will only go on one way had me stumped for a while) meant that the 11 cog wasn't located in place fully.