11-32 cassette - it's huge!

keef66
keef66 Posts: 13,123
edited March 2019 in Road general
Living somewhere flat and in anticipation of spending a few days in and around the N Yorks Moors I thought I'd fit a bigger cassette. Currently have a 12-27 so I thought a 32t might help me up Rosedale Chimney bank. The thing just arrived and it's like a pie plate! Basic geometry I know, but I hadn't stopped to consider how much extra metal would be involved in accommodating those extra 5 teeth. I'm thinking a longer chain might be required too....

Comments

• I'm no longer stronger than I used to be and I've installed the 11-32 myself. I consider the 32 cog as "State Farm" for those times when I really need it. I like the look, especially because I keep it very clean all the time.
  • keef66 wrote:
    Living somewhere flat and in anticipation of spending a few days in and around the N Yorks Moors I thought I'd fit a bigger cassette. Currently have a 12-27 so I thought a 32t might help me up Rosedale Chimney bank. The thing just arrived and it's like a pie plate! Basic geometry I know, but I hadn't stopped to consider how much extra metal would be involved in accommodating those extra 5 teeth. I'm thinking a longer chain might be required too....

Did mine, had to put a longer cage on as well.
  • keef66
    It's with a triple chainset so I already have the longer cage rear mech which Shimano say will work with a 32. Should give me an insanely low bottom gear. Just hope I don't fall foul of the max total range of chainset + cassette...
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    keef66 wrote:
    It's with a triple chainset so I already have the longer cage rear mech which Shimano say will work with a 32. Should give me an insanely low bottom gear. Just hope I don't fall foul of the max total range of chainset + cassette...
    I've got a B'Twin Triban 520, the older red and black bike, with a triple and I've fitted a 32 to the rear.
    I have to watch at times changing in the outer cogs as it does very occasionally lock the mech and chain.
    I don't use the small front cog as its a 30 and with a 32 rear the legs fly round :shock: .
    Used it very briefly going up Mam Nic/ Edale side of Mam Tor, 10% average, but it felt better sticking with the middle ring to be honest.
    It feels like you could go up any hill out there, but saying that I have a mate who a Spech S Works Tarmac which he had a 40t put on the rear :shock: :shock:
    T
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    oxoman wrote:
    My Defy came with 11/32 as standard its just been upgraded to 11/34 in anticipation of some upcoming hilly rides. Lot easier than knackered knees. Wait till we start fitting 40 plus on the back like MTB,s with a double crankset

42T on the back of my commuter

Avast ye dinner plate!

44033557830_1b00138be9_b.jpg
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    keef66 wrote:
    Make sure you go to the yorkshire cycle hub if you are out this way.
    Give me shout if you need any route advice. Great cycling in this area.regards
    ILG
  • keef66
    oxoman wrote:
    Keef let me know how you get on as it would give me another option of using my Ali bike with its 105 triple if a 32 will fit assuming its 10spd compatible.
    Mine is also 10 speed 105 so I will let you know if it works.
  • keef66
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Make sure you go to the yorkshire cycle hub if you are out this way.
    Give me shout if you need any route advice. Great cycling in this area.regards
    ILG

That’s a kind offer. Not heading up there till June, but I might take you up on the route advice nearer he time.
  • Step83 wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    My Defy came with 11/32 as standard its just been upgraded to 11/34 in anticipation of some upcoming hilly rides. Lot easier than knackered knees. Wait till we start fitting 40 plus on the back like MTB,s with a double crankset

Avast ye dinner plate!

Never mind the dinner plate, can we talk about that wonky saddle please... :wink::mrgreen:
  • keef66
    According to Shimano the total range for the 5701 RD is 40t and for my new setup it will be 41t, so as long as I don't cross chain from one dinner plate to the other I should be OK...

Possibly a timely purchase; my right knee was weirdly painful first thing this morning for no apparent reason
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Step83 wrote:
    oxoman wrote:

Avast ye dinner plate!

Why does your saddle point to the floor thus?! Have you given it a telling off, and it's all dejected?

Nice though. I see a lot of these 1x groupsets on my commute now. Dunno if I'd ever be tempted, though you get 11 different ratios, and I think a 50/34 with 11/28 only gives you 14 different ratios or something. Saves a little weight, and a bit less maintenance.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    hopkinb wrote:
    I see a lot of these 1x groupsets on my commute now. Dunno if I'd ever be tempted, though you get 11 different ratios, and I think a 50/34 with 11/28 only gives you 14 different ratios or something. Saves a little weight, and a bit less maintenance.
    If I ever find time to build the bamboo frame it will be a 10/42 with a single ring up front. Perfect for that as the bamboo isn't a nice uniform size for a clamp on mech and I don't know how strong a braze on would be if I screwed it to a stick.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    hopkinb wrote:
    Why does your saddle point to the floor thus?! Have you given it a telling off, and it's all dejected?

Nice though. I see a lot of these 1x groupsets on my commute now. Dunno if I'd ever be tempted, though you get 11 different ratios, and I think a 50/34 with 11/28 only gives you 14 different ratios or something. Saves a little weight, and a bit less maintenance.

Only photo I have of it, saddles now at the correct level, its using a older GX mech which has the same pull ratios as the road shifter.
    1x wise, I like it, bit of a jump between gears but needs very little looking after.
  • keef66
    Well that took longer than I’d planned. First try and the 11t sprocket fouled the dropout. I’d left the 105 spacer on the freehub. I know the Tiagra cassette doesn’t need one. Then it took me ages to get the chain length right. I found the bit of chain I’d originally taken off and refitted it with an extra missing link. Miles too long. Two more goes with the chain tool before it was just right.

Tricky with a triple chain set and a big cassette, but it seems quite happy at the two extremes I’ll hopefully never blunder into
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    keef66 wrote:
    According to Shimano the total range for the 5701 RD is 40t and for my new setup it will be 41t, so as long as I don't cross chain from one dinner plate to the other I should be OK...

Possibly a timely purchase; my right knee was weirdly painful first thing this morning for no apparent reason

5700 is compatible with MTB 9 speed derailleurs... I have an XT shadow 9 speed RD with 5700... it's brilliant... I have 32 T rear now, but I've had 36 in the past

bike.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    keef66 wrote:

Tricky with a triple chain set and a big cassette, but it seems quite happy at the two extremes I’ll hopefully never blunder into
    Keef66, my triple with the 32 t on the back is a pain to set up without any rubbing on the front D, I have tried but decided to just have the Big ring and middle gear running OK with the extreme ratios on the back as they duplicate the ratios with some of the ohters so as long as I can cover the best gears I Need Im happy with it. Ive found as soon as you get some wear in the cables etc the front D starts to rub in the outer gears, frustrating,,, But it could be I just dont have the know how to set it up perfect..
    T