Adjusting the seat angle on my new bike

jasonbat
jasonbat Posts: 5
edited March 2019 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I've just bought a Cannondale Trail 7 2018, though I'm getting a bit of a sore posterior after my first few short rides.

I'm having problems adjusting the seat angle (the seat does seem slightly angled forwards). I take it I need a torgue wrench capable of 10NM (I'm really struggling to undo the seat with a regular Allen key)?

Sincere thanks.

Photos of seat:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsMqJZPHhEARi1eYdKfNM4NpQiLH
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsMqJZPHhEARi1bbA4q4k4KiFDvY

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If you loosen the front bolt you will then be able to tighten the rear bolt to bring the saddle nose up. The front one can be a bit awkward to get an allen key in due to the angle of the seat post, but if you're patient it will fit.
    Once you have the saddle angle as you want it nip up both bolts.

Alternatively slacken off both bolts, try and gently move the saddle, move it too much, move it too much the other way, start swearing and then take half an hour fiddling to get the saddle clamp back in the right position and tighten both bolts without it moving again.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • jasonbat
    JBA wrote:
    If you loosen the front bolt you will then be able to tighten the rear bolt to bring the saddle nose up. The front one can be a bit awkward to get an allen key in due to the angle of the seat post, but if you're patient it will fit.
    Once you have the saddle angle as you want it nip up both bolts.

Alternatively slacken off both bolts, try and gently move the saddle, move it too much, move it too much the other way, start swearing and then take half an hour fiddling to get the saddle clamp back in the right position and tighten both bolts without it moving again.

Thanks. I've found the correct Allen key size etc., though I'm really struggling to unscrew the bolt even a tiny amount. Do I need a special Allen key or something? :(
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    No, it should be a 5mm allen bolt.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mark~p
    mark~p Posts: 55
    Sometimes the saddle bolts appear to be done up by a gorilla when they are new..

Take the seat post out so you can access the bolts properly.
    Make sure your Allen keys are a good fit and the L shaped metal type. Always use the full hex end to start it, the ball end if you have those will not grip well enough.
    Use a small amount of penetrating oil on the thread and where the head is.
    Warm it with some water.
    Now try again.
  • jasonbat
    Many thanks, guys! I'll give that a go. I'm thinking I may need a longer Allen key for more leverage too, as the one I've got is pretty short.

And, yes, it does seem it has been fastened by a gorilla. :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sometimes it's easier to take the seat post out, and then loosen the saddle, easier to get to the bolts.

Then put it back and adjust it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    You can extend the leverage of a right-angle Allen key using a ring spanner if you have room.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • jasonbat
    Many thanks, good people! 8)