23 or 25 tires on a 2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite SL2 Compact?

siddharta1979
siddharta1979 Posts: 3
edited March 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm thinking to swap out the stock armadillo tires that my Specialized came with (bought secondhand of course) with a new set of tires. The Roubaix armadillo elite are 23/25 (according to Specialized,"the 25mm casing smooths your ride and keeps you fresh, while the 23mm tread handles quickly."
Am I correct to assume that I will have clearance to fit 25s on this bike?
Has someone in the forum done this and, if so, with what tire brand? (Looks like Continental runs larger, for example).

Thanks!

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I don't have the Roubaix, but I do have 2011 Specialized road bikes - both take 25mm Conti's happily. I did try a 28 but it rubbed on the back - would've just about got away with it on the front, but stuck with 25s for the event.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    I'm running a 2018 Roubaix Comp so this may not be relevant to to you but... I'm currently running Specialized Roubaix Pro 25/28 tyres. Seem to roll well, comfortable, grippy and seem to be wearing very well. No problems with fitting and clearance but your 2011 may be different.
    The bike originally came with Specialized Turbo Pro 28 tyres... seemed pretty decent and no problems with clearances.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Klaus B
    Klaus B Posts: 63
    Sorry I didn't own that bike either but from the web I can see that the 2011 roubaix SL2 on test came with a 23mm tire that actually measured 26mm in width.. that's depends on the tire used like you said continentals tends to come wide at least 2mm than the number reported (in a 17mm internal rim width).. if you Google bicycle rolling resistance you can find a website that compare tires rolling resistance and more, quite interesting. If you look then at the road tires i'm pretty sure they usually compare 25 mm "on paper" road tires on 17mm internal rims and than reports in the reviews the real width of them together with more info.
    From my point of view the choice of the tire depends on the type of road you're riding your bike and the weather conditions as wide tires have better grip under braking. Go wide if your roads are in poor conditions. Furthermore as specialized told you your choice will depend on how keen you are in compromising grip and comfort (25mm) in favour of more 'connection' to the road(23mm).
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I have 25mm conti's on my SL4 Roubaix and they measure up at 26.7mm so i'd say you'll be fine running 25s on your SL2
  • MugenSi wrote:
    I have 25mm conti's on my SL4 Roubaix and they measure up at 26.7mm so i'd say you'll be fine running 25s on your SL2

Thanks!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Deffo 25 if they fit.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    my winter bike will only take 23's due to mudguards - other bikes have 25's - IME theres not a massive amount in it - if your bike can only take 23's you will be fine .......like me !