Mavic Ksyrium Elite bearings. New Wheelset.

velo.2010
velo.2010 Posts: 48
edited March 2019 in Workshop
Just wondering if anyone has had the same experience as me.

I've just received new pair of Ksyrium Elites. The front wheel bearings in particular felt tight ie, the wheel did not spin that freely in my hands, When placed in the dropout, the wheel showed side to side play. I tightened the QRM bearings to eliminate the play little and wheel continued to spin slowly.
I would note from Mavic...

'In order to avoid any problems for your customers, we factory set bearing play by simulating an extreme quick release tightening force.
There is therefore likely to be some play in the hub of a new wheel fitted to a bike with a lower quick release tightening force than that used in the factory.'

I don't use 'extreme quick release force'. Is it a case of the bearings 'loosening up' after a few rides or has there been some poor adjustment of the bearings in the factory to begin with.

Any helpful response would be most welcome.

Comments

• If they are new take them back to the shop you bought them from and get their opinion.

Edit: I believe bearing adjustment may need to be made with the wheel fitted to the bike for Mavic wheels . . . there should be a little spanner thing that came with them.
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Doesnt sound right to me, take the wheels to the shop and ask them to check all is well. It wouldnt be the first pair of wheels that has sat for a while and got some corrosion in the bearings.
  • velo.2010
    velo.2010 Posts: 48
    Online purchase. Mantel Netherlands to Ireland.
    Yes, I used the little tool and adjusted bearings to eliminate play.
    An old roadbikereview forum suggests it may be the bearing seals that need to loosen up. Does that ring true to anyone?

I'll give Mantel a bell in any case.
  • velo.2010 wrote:
    An old roadbikereview forum suggests it may be the bearing seals that need to loosen up.

I’ve had several sets of Mavic wheels, Aksium, Ksyrium and R-Sys and they’ve always run perfectly straight out of the box . . .
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    velo.2010 wrote:
    Online purchase. Mantel Netherlands to Ireland.
    Yes, I used the little tool and adjusted bearings to eliminate play.
    An old roadbikereview forum suggests it may be the bearing seals that need to loosen up. Does that ring true to anyone?

I'll give Mantel a bell in any case.

Yes, have had new wheels with sealed bearings that do loosen up once run in a bit. As long as there are no odd noises or feeling of roughness that indicate a bearing issue I wouldn't worry BUT I don't know what your opinion of spinning "not that freely" is though. You could maybe find a shop that stocks Mavic wheels and ask them if you could have a look at a new one to compare?

The pre-load adjustment is normal, just clamp in your dropout with the same QR force as you intend to use normally and back-off the pre-load as far as you can without introducing play.