Mixing 6800 and 5800 chainrings

-Dash
-Dash Posts: 179
edited March 2019 in Workshop
6800 outer is (likely) worn after 30000 miles. New chain on today and I'm able to unship the chain over the crank if I generate a lot of torque... generally moving off from slow speed etc.

6800 outers still silly money... can I just use a 5800 outer? (the weight difference is pretty minor..)

I can't see any reason why not but thought I'd check in case I'm missing something.

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Yes you can.
  • -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    I did it yesterday, turns out the ring doesn't line up perfectly with the spider so there are some visible aesthetic peculiarities but it works fine. The whole crank etc is pretty battered so I'm not fussed.

I was looking online and even the new R7000 chainset doesn't appear to align outer ring with spider very well.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    -Dash wrote:
    I did it yesterday, turns out the ring doesn't line up perfectly with the spider so there are some visible aesthetic peculiarities but it works fine. The whole crank etc is pretty battered so I'm not fussed.

I was looking online and even the new R7000 chainset doesn't appear to align outer ring with spider very well.

Ive got a 6800 outer used but not trashed that you can have if you like.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    5800 should last slightly longer as well.