Mini Velo

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
edited March 2019 in Road buying advice
Anyone owned or ridden a Tokyobike/Pinkertons Mini Velo ? Have the chance to buy a single speed version cheap (needs a bit of work) and I'm tempted as it'd be easy to sling in the back of the car for park and bike ride commutes without faffing about taking wheels off etc.

It's a bit of a drive away though so don't want to get there and find it's too small (website says fits 5'7-6'3 , I'm 6'2 but that sounds a bit of a range) or some sort of unrideable contraption that will end up another piece of junk in the garage. On the list of necessary bikes it's probably not that high.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    They don't fold, what's the point?

It's probably only 3 inches shorter at the back than a 700 c bike
    left the forum March 2023
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    So a vote for another piece of junk in the garage? Yes I think I'm leaning that way, even though I think it'd fit in the back of my car without taking a wheel off.

He only wants £50 for it which I think is what tempted me, plus I think they look quite cool in a quirky kind of way, but £50 on something you don't need is still £50 wasted I suppose. It's in Doncaster if anyone is interested.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    The thing is I don't know anyone who rides one... they might be nippy or they might be absolutely useless.. if he's hapy to sell for 50 quid it's because there isn't a market for them, so probably they are not that good.

If you look at what a Brompton goes for on Ebay on the other hand...

But that's because not only they fold neatly, but they also can be ridden very very fast

https://www.strava.com/activities/2190168836
    left the forum March 2023
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 444
    +1 for a Brompton! Sold my M3L last summer and bought a M6L. The six gears make a big difference to the useability especially in the hilly part of Hampshire I use it. Great fun. Yes not cheap, but they hold their price v well. I sold the M3L for the same price I paid 3 years previous. The ability to sling it in the back of a car and not take up too much room is useful too.