Sticking road caliper

david7m
david7m Posts: 636
edited March 2019 in Workshop
Hello
My rear Tiagra rim brake caliper has been sticking recently, initially thought it was the cables but definitely the caliper as when cables are removed its the same.
I've took it apart, cleaned with WD40 and regreased. Didnt loose any bits, so the washers are in between the friction parts.
Now I've put back on the bike, it still sticks unless the bolt out to the left is backed off a lot. With it like this when the brake is applied it twists a fair bit which wasnt how it was last year/the front is now.
Any tips?
Dave

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    if its had new inners, new outers, clean, strip down, regrease, properly rebuilt etc its probably funked.

hammer, fire, next door's garden, buy a new one for twenty quid.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Change the groupset for Dura Ace.

#prokit it's the only way in the first world
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Change the groupset for Dura Ace.

#prokit it's the only way in the first world

dura ace sticks as well, though its nicer when it works.
  • david7m
    Was expecting some banter on it being Tiagra, but not a full groupset upgrade :)
    Will strip and build again, doesn't take long, then abort.
    Dave
  • Matthewfalle
    hammer, fire, bin, Super Record

don't bother fitting anything made by Shimano - they make fishing equipment.

#PROlife
    #doitproper
    #prayforHayden

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    david7m wrote:
    Was expecting some banter on it being Tiagra, but not a full groupset upgrade :)
    Dave

My mechanic guru spent alot of time re-building and setting up the brakes on my bike. When he reassembled them, and before he fitted the spring arms in place (this was campag, I am assuming yours work in the same way), he only tightened up the centre nut to the point that the two arms of the caliper would fall 'closed' under gravity, i.e the centre bolt was not so tight that it held the two halves rigidly. Once the spring arms were engaged and the caliper fixed into the frame, the tension in the arms was as he wanted it in order to provide sufficient resistance to the cable.

Just a thought...
    Half man, Half bike
  • david7m
    Sounds good, I'll try it.
    Cheers
  • Matthewfalle
    Ridgerider wrote:
    david7m wrote:
    Dave

My mechanic guru spent alot of time re-building and setting up the brakes on my bike. When he reassembled them, and before he fitted the spring arms in place (this was campag, I am assuming yours work in the same way), he only tightened up the centre nut to the point that the two arms of the caliper would fall 'closed' under gravity, i.e the centre bolt was not so tight that it held the two halves rigidly. Once the spring arms were engaged and the caliper fixed into the frame, the tension in the arms was as he wanted it in order to provide sufficient resistance to the cable.

Just a thought...

or save time effort and frustration and buy a new one

#lifestooshort
    #itsonlytiagra
    #prayforHayden

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    A full strip down and regrease should get it working again. When you reassemble, be careful not to overtighten the arm bolt (the one at the side holding the arms together). It can feel correct until the locknut is tightened, then it binds.

#tiagraisfine
    #whywaste
    #easyfix
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it really is borked I have a pair of Tiagra 4500 calipers in my spares box, complete with a second set of slightly worn brake blocks.

I've only still got them because I think they are worth less than it would cost to post them to anyone...
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    Also check the curves in the cable routing and the ends of the cable housing (ie having a clear opening). On my TT bike I was trying to have as few visible cables as possible, but this caused to many bends and tight turns causing a little sticking on the rear Dura caliper. It didn't stick fully but would slowly release. No one bend was causing sticking, but the overall friction was jut too much.
  • Matthewfalle
    jermas wrote:
    A full strip down and regrease should get it working again. When you reassemble, be careful not to overtighten the arm bolt (the one at the side holding the arms together). It can feel correct until the locknut is tightened, then it binds.

#tiagraisfine
    #whywaste
    #easyfix

nah. SR all the way.

yes - Tiagra is fine. And thats it. Fine. Nothing special. Meh. Life is too short to have things that are "fine".

#boonendoesn'tusetiagra
    #beboonen
    #bePRO
    #prayforHayden

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    Ive got Tiagra, Ultegra and Dura Ace on various bikes (self builds, Im not that rich) and cant say the money for the top stuff warrants the performance improvements. Shifting and braking etc is slightly better, smoother etc but not massively. Plus, the Tiagra never complains about the s**t stuck in it from the winter weather! Dura ace is a little more picky!
  • david7m
    Stripped down, cleaned and reassembled again.
    Got it smooth when off bike, but didn't work when fitted. Took it off and backed off tension and refitted. This was probably the issue with first build as didn't do anything different.
    Works a treat now :)
    Dave
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    david7m wrote:
    Stripped down, cleaned and reassembled again.
    Got it smooth when off bike, but didn't work when fitted. Took it off and backed off tension and refitted. This was probably the issue with first build as didn't do anything different.
    Works a treat now :)
    Dave
    Nicely done:)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Had a sticking Campagnolo caliper, the other day. Managed to sort it in-situ (well, I unscrewed it from the fork crown for fuller access) with Muc Off, water (cold) and a cassette brush to get into all the pivots. Worked it back and forth a handful of times and it seems okay.

Must have been a bit of grit as I was caught in shitty weather on the ride to work, that morning.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • david7m
    oxoman wrote:
    Result plus you got the correct advice off here plus some banter. PS sora, cĺaris and tektro amongst others are below tiagra, they all the same job so ignore the snobs.

Yeah, I didn't mention the jagwire pads which were about £6 for front and rear, and I'm impressed! :D

Dave
  • david7m
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Had a sticking Campagnolo caliper, the other day. Managed to sort it in-situ (well, I unscrewed it from the fork crown for fuller access) with Muc Off, water (cold) and a cassette brush to get into all the pivots. Worked it back and forth a handful of times and it seems okay.

Must have been a bit of grit as I was caught in sh!tty weather on the ride to work, that morning.

Result!