Can't Centre Rear Wheel

samfailed
samfailed Posts: 82
edited March 2019 in Workshop
I can no longer get my rear wheel aligned properly. As I tighten the QR the wheel skews towards one side of the frame, sometimes even rubbing against it. With some force I can get the wheel secured in place without hitting the frame but it's still well off centre.

What could be causing this problem? The wheel? An issue with the frame?

Will a wheel skewed to one side (but not rubbing anything) make a major difference to performance?

Comments

• mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Wheel is out of true, bring it to your LBS and get it trued.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    whats your frame made of?

Assuming this is an issue for all wheels id be looking at your dropouts for damage, if its a steel or aluminium frame has it had a bash or crushing accident that might render the rear triangle out of true?

If its carbon and its suddenly gone like that after checking the dishing on your wheel (though why it would suddenly change without going completely out of true is beyond me) then look for indications the frame has been compromised. Look around the paint at the bottom bracket area and then the area of the drop outs and the seat post joining area. Any lines across joints are a good indication that all is not well.
  • samfailed
    samfailed Posts: 82

Assuming this is an issue for all wheels id be looking at your dropouts for damage, if its a steel or aluminium frame has it had a bash or crushing accident that might render the rear triangle out of true?

If its carbon and its suddenly gone like that after checking the dishing on your wheel (though why it would suddenly change without going completely out of true is beyond me) then look for indications the frame has been compromised. Look around the paint at the bottom bracket area and then the area of the drop outs and the seat post joining area. Any lines across joints are a good indication that all is not well.

On closer inspection there does appear to have been some damage done to the dropouts. It's an aluminium frame. If this is causing the problem, can anything be done?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    they can be straightened however its worth finding out what caused the damage as the frame may be funked.

what frame is it?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    e-needpics.gif
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Orlok wrote:
    e-needpics.gif

I like that! :D
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    samfailed wrote:

On closer inspection there does appear to have been some damage done to the dropouts. It's an aluminium frame. If this is causing the problem, can anything be done?

The simple answer is “it depends”. Unless it’s obviously fooobarred a pic here won’t be useful, it needs a proper inspection but it can quite possibly be repaired and quite cheaply too. If it’s just the drop outs a decent bike shop might stock the old school drop out savers but you’d need an old school proper shop not a Halfords or retail focused type staffed by children.

Worth checking for creases, new paint cracks or other visible indications of damage.

Aluminium isn’t the easiest material to work with, but older steel frames is a different matter.

Good luck!

Edit I’ve had some frames where I’ve got away with a vice and some leaning and a couple where a file has removed burrs and lips. Also ask the bike shop to check the alignment before doing any repairs. They should have a frame alignment gauge if they’re worth their salt.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Given you dont know the answer OP as to why and we are just guessing as we have not seen your bike (pics probably wont help much) get your self down to a good shop and get some advise from someone who knows what they are looking at. This is something best done in person and pics on the forum wont change that.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    samfailed wrote:

On closer inspection there does appear to have been some damage done to the dropouts.
    What type of damage?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.