New Multi tool

cranstlu
cranstlu Posts: 2
edited March 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,
I am doing a GCSE project at school and have made a water bottle with a few tools inside it. The top half contains 1/2 a litre of water while the bottom has a screw in base with a selection of tools in it (2, 4 and 5mm hex heads, T25, co2 cartridge, tyre patch and chain breaker). It is black and made from plastic. The idea of it was to allow riders to stop the need of carrying a restrctive backpack for there tools. Please let me know what you think about it!! :)

Comments

• ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    Sounds like a great idea, the hinge mech would need to be quite waterproof though
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Good idea. I would want the ability to put in whatever tools/bits are appropriate to my bike, and there’s no point having tyre patches without other tyre-related stuff like levers and maybe glue and something like sandpaper to roughen up the tube.

Also, crucially, it must not rattle under any circumstance!
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like a good idea (well except for me, 1/2 litre wouldn't get me far!).
    You may want to look at the shape of the divider to make sure longer tools (6mm Allen key is a must, or a decent multi-tool) will fit.

It's 'their tools' by the way.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Good idea and not heard of this before. Allows you easy access to your personal selection of tools.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Nice idea. Some people already use drinks bottles to carry snacks/tools in but not fluids as well.

Your idea is loosely based on protein shakers, where you have a compartment on the bottom for the dry protein shake and then add it to the fluid section when you need it. Yours will probably have a larger lower section.

https://www.amazon.com/PROTEIN-Protein- ... B06XRNLMVC

As others have said, the `tool` section needs to be big enough for longer tools like allen keys etc and the fluid section might be prohibitively small. Good for short rides but a water bottle (even a full sized one) would not be enough for me for 3-4 hours riding.

Would be great for short rides though when you want to travel light.

My Camelbak is like a womans handbag - I'd never get it all in one bottle!

Keep us updated - got any photos?

#they'retheirthere :lol:
    "Ride, crash, replace"