Larger Rucksack Recommendations

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited March 2019 in Road buying advice
Brought a DHB 30L slice this week - which has great features, but was to small for my daily needs - change of clothes, towel, gym kit.

I currently use a non cycling Adidas rucksack - which is ok - but is falling apart now - and was looking recomendations for something cycling specific......cheers....

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Milemuncher has a good snowboarding one iirc, he can get about 40kg in it I think...?

In all seriousness though, look at the evoc range and pick the right capacity for your needs. I think they do some larger bags as well as day ride mtb bags. They also come in excellent colours so you look cool (mine is bright orange and has lasted 7 years or so?)
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    HaydenM wrote:
    Milemuncher has a good snowboarding one iirc, he can get about 40kg in it I think...?

In all seriousness though, look at the evoc range and pick the right capacity for your needs. I think they do some larger bags as well as day ride mtb bags. They also come in excellent colours so you look cool (mine is bright orange and has lasted 7 years or so?)

I heard it was 45KG :)
  • Though not a backpack recommendation and potentially off tangent comment; have you considered reducing the load in place of increasing your load capacity?

When I started commuting, I used to carry my work documents, lunch, 1.5L flask (filled with water), 3kg D-lock and change of clothes. Over time, I realised that :
    - I don't need to ferry my documents (stays at work unless I need to work from home and if so I just take the bare minimum and try to use "cloud" services to minimise physical material).
    - I now have 800mL bottle which is just fine for daily use.
    - I don't carry D-locks anymore as I can just take my bike to the office (a privilege, if not then I leave the lock at work, and another at home).
    - I just take change of clothes in bulk when I can

My 25L backpack used to be heavy and full, but now it just carries my lunch, a shirt and puncture repair kit. I don't struggle with lower back pain towards the end of the week and my ride has become a bit more pleasant and nippier due to less weight.

I recognise that every commuter's load is very much individually unique so it might not apply to you and you genuinely need a larger backpack. Heavier the load, more stress on your back and potential sustained injury. Panier may be an alternative if you must carry larger and heavier load everyday.

Just a thought.
  • kingrollo
    Though not a backpack recommendation and potentially off tangent comment; have you considered reducing the load in place of increasing your load capacity?

When I started commuting, I used to carry my work documents, lunch, 1.5L flask (filled with water), 3kg D-lock and change of clothes. Over time, I realised that :
    - I don't need to ferry my documents (stays at work unless I need to work from home and if so I just take the bare minimum and try to use "cloud" services to minimise physical material).
    - I now have 800mL bottle which is just fine for daily use.
    - I don't carry D-locks anymore as I can just take my bike to the office (a privilege, if not then I leave the lock at work, and another at home).
    - I just take change of clothes in bulk when I can

My 25L backpack used to be heavy and full, but now it just carries my lunch, a shirt and puncture repair kit. I don't struggle with lower back pain towards the end of the week and my ride has become a bit more pleasant and nippier due to less weight.

I recognise that every commuter's load is very much individually unique so it might not apply to you and you genuinely need a larger backpack. Heavier the load, more stress on your back and potential sustained injury. Panier may be an alternative if you must carry larger and heavier load everyday.

Just a thought.

Thing is don't always use my bike - my work load can be unpredictable, so sometimes I can get to the gym on lunchtime - other times I take the car, sometimes I use my folding bike and do a hybrid journey.
    It works best if I have all my kit with me all the time -
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    the Kriega ones are very good for this sort of thing - designed for motorbikerists so cut low around the back of the head, lots of support straps, etc.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    kingrollo wrote:
    I currently use a non cycling Adidas rucksack - which is ok - but is falling apart now - and was looking recomendations for something cycling specific......cheers....

How much bigger do you need? The Ortlieb Back Roller Classic is 40l and when not being used as a bike pannier has a handle to allow it to be carried 'briefcase style'. It also comes with a shoulder strap to allow it to be carried 'messenger bag' style fairly easily.

There are also other carrying bag options available which double up as panniers if you decide you want the dual functionality.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I carry a similar amount of things to you and I use a Osprey Radial 34 which happily carries it all.
    It has air chambers at the back which does encourage a bit of airflow but you'll still get a sweaty back in hot weather.
    It's big but not uncomfortable, I certainly wouldn't want anything bigger.

Not sure it can carry 45kg worth of crap mind.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,664
    Have a look at Vaude backpacks. They make cycling specific ones. I have one but use it for walking holidays too. Nice slim fit on the back so gives shoulders a lot of mobility. Cleverly made and I can fit lots in mine. I think the max size is 32litre + 5Litre. I've got an older 25+5 and it is very comfortable

https://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Ac ... =129480100

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Get a micro fibre towel. Much more compact.
  • kingrollo
    Thanks for all the recco's -
    I am an impoverished NHS employee - so paying over £100 for a rucksack isn't happening..looking for budget options
  • cougie
    Bin the gym membership and run / cycle as exercise ! Cheap as anything.
  • photonic69
    kingrollo wrote:
    Thanks for all the recco's -
    I am an impoverished NHS employee - so paying over £100 for a rucksack isn't happening..looking for budget options

Yeah, hadn't realised they got so pricey! Mine was about £55 or a bit less from Wiggle a few years back. Got it as a birthday present from the family after some strong hints and web-links.

I'd agree that over £100 or even over £60 is too much!! They are very good though and I can pack loads in. Full change of clothes including shoes and my lunch. There is even a pouch to stow your helmet too.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Go outdoors have a reasonable selection of bags under £100. You just need to buy a discount card for a fiver.
  • photonic69
    If you want to go large for a budget then this is good!

https://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/133 ... lsrc=aw.ds

I believe that cycling specific backpacks have slightly narrower shoulder straps as your arms in in a forward position from your torso when on a bike rather than hanging at your sides whilst hiking. If the straps are too wide you might find them uncomfortable after a long period on a bike.

Bike specific will also have more hi-viz / reflective detailing on them and the rain cover (if fitted) will be more tight fitting.

• cougie
    Surely that top compartment is going to be bumping into your helmet/head all of the time. Might be fine for walking but I can't see it working on a bike. Unless it's a sit up and beg type bike.
  • photonic69
    cougie wrote:
    Surely that top compartment is going to be bumping into your helmet/head all of the time. Might be fine for walking but I can't see it working on a bike. Unless it's a sit up and beg type bike.

It's only there if it is full. If you don't fill it, it will just be loose fabric and you can pull the fastening straps down to pull it taught. Marketing shots only show bags stuffed to capacity so people can get an idea of how big they are.

Personally I wouldn't choose this bag as it is too big for my needs but the OP wanted big and wanted cheap.

• Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    How bout theese

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dhb ... gLJ6vD_BwE

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineer ... 60595.html

EDIT See that you alreadly got the slice one... :oops:

Alot of 30L bags Which is big for a cyling backpack not as much choice larger sizes

I reckon over 30L is uncomfotable better with panniers if carrying more unless its only a short distance

Rucksacks that go to high are annoying when shoulder checking

45l alpkit one Uk made:

https://www.alpkit.com/products/el-burro