New Groupset for my Canyon Ultimate

Ambitio22
Ambitio22 Posts: 2
edited March 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I am new in the Road Bike sport and I bought a full carbon bike with a Dura Ace group.
The frame is in super shape and I bought it second hand, the frame is from 2010.
Unfortunately, the Dura Ace shifters have no internal cables but the cables stick out on the side!! This totally annoys me! :x
I would like to upgrade the groupset to a new group with internal cabling.

Now my questions, I would like to buy the Ultegra 8000 group and found a super offer on Merlin Cycles.
https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-r8000-groupset-special-offer-113147.html

Unfortunately, I have no clue if the groupset fits the frame and what I need to consider?
How can I figure out what group fits my frame and what are the important things I need to consider before ordering a new group?

Your support is much appreciated.

Cheers marco

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If you bike has external cables, I would guess it doesn’t have internal cabling routes as well.
    Your only option would be SRAM Etap.
  • If i found the right frame images on lint it looks like it predates the move to internal cabling so you won't be able to do this but you will still be able to install a more up to date groupset that has concealed cables for the gears that run under the handlebar tape. One thing you will need to check is the bottom bracket you need for the frame when you choose the groupset. HTH
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    edited March 2019
    Just to clarify, do you mean the cables stick out the SIDE of the shiters like this ...

30-7157_shifter.jpg

... or it's just got external cabling (cables running outside down along the frame and top tube)?

Not that it makes a huge difference to your query, but just checking.

Going for SRAM eTap is an (expensive) option. Otherwise just a newer groupset with cables that run under the bar tape and maybe an internally routed handlebar to tidy them up a bit. New 105 or Ultegra are both good value these days and both will probably perform better than your older spec Dura Ace too.

You can't really internally route a frame that wasn't made for it.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    I think Webboo may have slightly misunderstood in that I assume you want shifters with cables that go under your handlebar tape.

That groupset can probably be made to work but you have a couple of things to consider as you say:
    - Ensure you get the correct bottom bracket for your frame. Likely to be BSA I'd have thought.
    - What hubs have you got? They will need to be compatible with an 11 speed groupset.
    - The front mech is braze on. Does your frame have a braze on mount? There are, I imagine, adapters that will allow a braze on mech to be fitted to a frame for Shimano but I only really have a clue about Campag stuff. I'm sure someone else can offer more / better advice.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Take it to your local bike shop and they'll sort it out.
  • Seriously, just keep the bike as it is.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    cougie wrote:

for a brazilian pounds.....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    cougie wrote:

for a brazilian pounds.....

just lob some 10 speed Tiagra, 105 or Ultegra on it. My well old crit racer Planet X has 2010 Dura Ace and that works perfect with 3 year old Ultegra brifters, whatever series that is.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    You'll have Dura Ace 7800 which is widely considered to be the best 10 speed groupset Shimano ever made.
    Yes the external cabling looks a bit messy but the flip side is that there are no tight bends on the cables so the shifting is light and slick.
    You can get yourself Ultegra R8000 which will bring the bike bang up to date but unless the bike came has Mavic's or non-original wheels you'd be likely to need to change them too (or at least the hub).
    Could get very expensive particularly if you need to pay labour.
    Don't consider changing to a different 10 speed, it will be a downgrade in weight and function.
    If you do decide to change sell the old Dura Ace - you will be surprised how much you'll get for it.
  • Matthewfalle
    keep the dura ace just fit different shifters.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561

Yep - if you're really irked by the external cabling from the 7800 shifters then any other 10-speed shifter that allows you to run the cables round the bars under the tape will do the job. For example Tiagra 4700, 105 5700 etc

A bit sacrilegious to ditch the Dura Ace for an inferior standard but - Hey Ho it's your money and your bike and if you hate the external cabling so much then go ahead.

As mentioned above a switch to Ultegra 8000 could mean significant extra costs if your wheelset is 10-speed only
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    arlowood wrote:

Yep - if you're really irked by the external cabling from the 7800 shifters then any other 10-speed shifter that allows you to run the cables round the bars under the tape will do the job. For example Tiagra 4700, 105 5700 etc

A bit sacrilegious to ditch the Dura Ace for an inferior standard but - Hey Ho it's your money and your bike and if you hate the external cabling so much then go ahead.

As mentioned above a switch to Ultegra 8000 could mean significant extra costs if your wheelset is 10-speed only

Tiagra 4700 shifters will be the wrong cable pull for the DA 7800 rear mech, so don't do that.

It's a bit of a dilemma. Those side-exit cables can be annoying, especially with bar-mounted lights, but they do give you slick shifting and easy cable replacement.

5700 shifters is probably the simplest way to get you under bar tape routing; they seem to be still available. Be warned they can eat the RH shift cable though. And compared with a new groupset they are quite expensive unless you go via Ebay.

If on the other hand you're hankering after a new R8000 groupset, as suggested above, just see if your rear wheel will take an 11 speed cassette, check what bottom bracket your frame needs, and also if the front mech is a clamp or a braze-on.

Strip the old kit carefully and clean it up, pop it on Ebay and be pleasantly surprised.
  • Klaus B
    Klaus B Posts: 63
    If you buy a new groupset all the above advices are the good once. BB type, front mech attachment and rear freehub capacity are the stuff to check.
    New groupsets can come with direct mount rim brakes, so check that as well and obviously don't buy if your bike cannot support them.
    Make your calculations and if you're really keen to change everything consider changing the whole bike it will not cost much more at that point.