Fork sizing problem

Richard.S
Richard.S Posts: 55
edited March 2019 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone.
Just joined this forum, as I am new to cycling and have a few issues which hopefully you more experienced bikers can help me with.

I purchased some front suspension forks which are 1 1/8” (28.6mm outer diameter).
I tried to insert them into my bikes head tube, which was advertised also as 1 1/8” - BUT, the forks do not fit, due to the top and bottom headset cups inserting into the headset, reducing the internal diameter of the hard tube to less than 28.6mm.

I have therefore, removed the top and bottom headset cups, and measured the internal diameter of the head tube, and my vernier callipers read the internal dimension as 30.1mm.

So, my question is - I only seem to have 1.5mm available space to insert new headset cups.
Is this as expected, or should there be more space between the steerer tube and the cups?

Also, the outer diameter of my head tube is 35.5mm. Do I need a special type of headset / cups?

I appreciate any help on this matter, and please remember I’m a biking newbie, so layman’s terms answers would be most appreciated :D

Thank you all in advance.

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Any chance you can tell us which forks and which bike?
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Richard.S
    Unfortunately I do not have those details to hand, but I included the diameters above, as I figured that was the important issue. Thanks.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Surely you know the name of the bike even if you don't know the name / model of the forks?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • larkim
    This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_tube suggests internal diameter of 1 1/8 headtube should be 33.8mm

30mm internal diameter would be a 1" steerer, assuming perhaps that your measurement of 30.1mm is 0.1 incorrect?
  • Richard.S
    As crazy as it sounds, I actually don’t, as the frame was supplied to me, and has no details as it is totally plain.

The internal dimensions of the head tube is 30.3mm - I just re-measured it.

So I basically have an oddball Sized headtube, with normal 1 1/8” forks.
    I guess it’s time to get a new frame then, even though this one is new and never used :(

Thanks.
  • larkim
    Very odd indeed!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Older frames had 30mm head tubes to take 1" quill stems.
    Any idea how old the frame you have is, Richard.S? It may not be used but could be very old.
    It is a mountain bike frame, isn't it?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Richard.S
    Yes, definitely a mountain bike frame, and new. It’s obviously some weird manufacturer using an odd sized head tube for some strange reason.

Thank you for all the help. I will just get a new frame - much easier.

Once again, thank you everyone for the advice and help, it is much appreciated.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As you can't buy a headset for 30.3 I suspect your measuring is out more than the actual size.

At least you'll know what it is when you're selling it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.