Tyre pressures

zest28
zest28 Posts: 403
edited March 2019 in Road general
There seem to be some talk that lower tyre pressures is faster. However for me it is the opposite. I am faster with tyres at 100+ psi? :shock:

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    There’s a bit more to it than that...
  • bongofish
    bongofish Posts: 123
    Imposter wrote:

Imposter being as helpful as ever. Instead of being a prick imposter.....if there's more to it, explain it to the person asking.

Edited by Mod. Please be nicer to each other.
  • imposter2.0
    Bongofish wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Imposter being as helpful as ever. Instead of being a prick imposter.....if there's more to it, explain it to the person asking. Edited by Mod. Please be nicer to each other.

I'd rather wait for your explanation, tbh. Give it a go...
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    How do you know you are faster with 100+psi?
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Bongofish wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Imposter being as helpful as ever. Instead of being a prick imposter.....if there's more to it, explain it to the person asking. Your a f**king annoying idiot.

That language is certainly uncalled for.
    The initial poster should have given us more detail, for instance the size of tyre ridden, their body weight and the circumstances they ride in. 100psi would be optimum for a 23mm tyre ridden by someone who is 85-90kg.
    It wouldn't be great using a 28mm tyre for a lighter person.
    Also if you're riding on a velodrome or on lovely smooth roads 100psi will be faster than lower pressures.
  • bongofish
    bongofish Posts: 123
    Imposter wrote:
    Bongofish wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Imposter being as helpful as ever. Instead of being a prick imposter.....if there's more to it, explain it to the person asking. Your a f**king annoying idiot.

I don't know the answer , nor do I pretend to know the answer. So I clicked on the link and hoped to learn knowledge. But again it's a annoying response that just trust to make out like you know it all but you don't and no explanation to anything. This forum is toxic and the only reason most people stay here I imagine is to be toxic.
  • imposter2.0
    Bongofish wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Bongofish wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

I don't know the answer , nor do I pretend to know the answer. So I clicked on the link and hoped to learn knowledge. But again it's a annoying response that just trust to make out like you know it all but you don't and no explanation to anything. This forum is toxic and the only reason most people stay here I imagine is to be toxic.

And yet you're still here.. :roll:

It's true that higher pressures will roll faster on a 100% smooth surface, but outside of the velodrome, there is no single answer to tyre pressures, with variables like road surface, tyre width and rider weight to consider.

Ironic that you complain about the forum being 'toxic' - and yet the only person on this thread using obscene and abusive language - is you. You sanctimonious hypocrite. No offence.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Zest28 wrote:
    There seem to be some talk that lower tyre pressures is faster. However for me it is the opposite. I am faster with tyres at 100+ psi? :shock:

@ OP: what was the point of your post? Is that a statement or a question? If the latter, what exactly is the question?

If the former, what are we to make of it?

We don't know you or your bike, the type of riding you do, the speeds you ride at, the size and type of tyre you use or the surfaces you ride on.

I'm light-ish and ride 25mm GP4S relatively slowly around Suffolk country lanes with wildly variable surfaces. 70psi front and 80psi rear seem to be the sweet spot in terms of ride comfort and avoiding pinch flats. I've never tried to determine if there's any correlation between tyre pressure and speed. HTH.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    ive come to the conclusion that trial and error brings people to a pressure theyre comfortable with and that equipment choice and type of riding along with physical and mental attributes plus skill all have a part to play.

other than at extreme ends there are no hard and fast right and wrongs.

Its another un necessary worry
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    ok - semi serious post....

I ride 23mm (mostly) and around 100psi (assuming I check pressures with a pump before riding)

Higher pressure is faster if the surface is smooth, you're not deforming the tyre as it rotates - however, when you get a rough patch, it can bounce off the surface - losing contact with the road = no grip, no grip = no power being transferred to pushing the bike forwards = slower.

Wider tyres have taken the limelight - wider tyres have a higher contact point and don't need the same pressure for the same overall weight. Less pressure means the tyres can deform around the abnormalities in the road giving a more comfortable ride whilst keeping the tyre in contact with the road and the power being transferred.

It's all a bit of a balancing act between width, pressure & road type. TBH, for the sort of riding I do (on my road bike) - 23mm and ~100psi is absolutely fine. If I'm going for a faster ride I may push the pressure up a little - but I've still got to push the pedals around ...
  • joey54321
    Slowbike wrote:

I ride 23mm (mostly) and around 100psi (assuming I check pressures with a pump before riding)

Higher pressure is faster if the surface is smooth, you're not deforming the tyre as it rotates - however, when you get a rough patch, it can bounce off the surface - losing contact with the road = no grip, no grip = no power being transferred to pushing the bike forwards = slower.

Wider tyres have taken the limelight - wider tyres have a higher contact point and don't need the same pressure for the same overall weight. Less pressure means the tyres can deform around the abnormalities in the road giving a more comfortable ride whilst keeping the tyre in contact with the road and the power being transferred.

It's all a bit of a balancing act between width, pressure & road type. TBH, for the sort of riding I do (on my road bike) - 23mm and ~100psi is absolutely fine. If I'm going for a faster ride I may push the pressure up a little - but I've still got to push the pedals around ...

Tyre efficiency has nothing to do with putting the power done, its how much deflection you have. If you spend all that energy bouncing too hard tyres off rough road you put a lot of energy in to going up and down rather than forward. A less inflated tyre offers a level of compliance which absorbs some of that otherwise wasted energy.
  • slowbike
    joey54321 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Tyre efficiency has nothing to do with putting the power done, its how much deflection you have. If you spend all that energy bouncing too hard tyres off rough road you put a lot of energy in to going up and down rather than forward. A less inflated tyre offers a level of compliance which absorbs some of that otherwise wasted energy.

erm - I said nothing about Tyre Efficiency - so you seem to be agreeing with what I said ...
  • Download the Mavic app for a fairly decent approximation of where you should have your pressure as a starting point. Then play around with it from there and see how you get on. Purely on an anecdotal basis, I find high tyre pressures slightly slower on British roads .
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    ive come to the conclusion that trial and error brings people to a pressure theyre comfortable with and that equipment choice and type of riding along with physical and mental attributes plus skill all have a part to play.

other than at extreme ends there are no hard and fast right and wrongs.

Its another un necessary worry

The correct answer.
  • joey54321
    Slowbike wrote:

erm - I said nothing about Tyre Efficiency - so you seem to be agreeing with what I said ...

ah, my bad, I thought you were talking about how pressure affects speed over a range of surfaces.
  • slowbike
    joey54321 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

ah, my bad, I thought you were talking about how pressure affects speed over a range of surfaces.
    :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Over 100 psi would definitely be slower for me because I'd have to keep stopping to check my fillings and rearrange my genitalia.
  • I remember guys pumping up their narrow tubulars to 160psi before a time trial. The roads were nowhere near smooth just the usual country roads. That was only about five years ago.

You could work out the optimum tyre pressure for a fixed route using a power meter and accurate weather data making sure you keep all other variables the same. You could then apply that to similar road surfaces. Head out to Spain however for a spring training camp and you may find higher pressures are faster on the smooth tarmac.
  • If you want to apply science to this try this link <<https://www.quarq.com/product/tyrewiz-app/>&gt;
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    It's a massively confusing area because 1) the optimum pressure for a given rider in a given situation depends on an awful lot of variables, and 2) there is a lot of marketing nonsense flying about which further obscures what is already a complicated subject.

Wider tyres at lower pressures are fashionable right now so you have to filter everything through that bias.