Cheaper alternatives to the gabba?

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited March 2019 in Road buying advice
Anyone have any recommendations for a similar jersey to the gabba but cheaper?

Thanks

Comments

• shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    pay for what you get, the gabba is so priced as it is such good top that does what is needed, cheaper tops won't keep you so dry or make you sweat like in a sauna
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,639
    Endura Classics Jersey is around £80. I've had mine a few years and it's been great.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Gabba frequently comes up in sales. I’ve tried the Mossa and stolen goat versions, both are good but I prefer the gabba.
  • redvision
    Stueys wrote:
    Gabba frequently comes up in sales.

Just not at this time of year and in the colour I would prefer :(

Cheers for the replies. I know how good the gabba is as have owned each version over the last few years.
    Only reason I am looking for something cheaper is I know I am between sizes at the moment and didn't want to fork out only to have to buy a smaller size in a few weeks/months.

Does seem like there aren't many alternatives though, which is disappointing, so might have to stick with the gabba.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    How does the fit of a mk 3 gabba compare to the mk 1 and 2 ? I've got an earlier version which I like but I have read it's got more of a tight race fit in mk 3 which isn't something I really want in that kind of top as the material has too little stretch to be really figure hugging.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • redvision
    How does the fit of a mk 3 gabba compare to the mk 1 and 2 ? I've got an earlier version which I like but I have read it's got more of a tight race fit in mk 3 which isn't something I really want in that kind of top as the material has too little stretch to be really figure hugging.

It's not greatly different but is definitely closer fitting.
    It's now more like the perfetto sizing.

I was a large in the original gabba and gabba 2, but in the gabba 3 I normally would need XL, although at the moment, after several months off the bike, I am between XL and xxl.
  • Surprised no-one has mentioned this:

https://galibier.cc/product/mistral-fou ... er-jacket/

I've got a Gabba and an Alpha and have worn neither this winter as the Galibier has been so good.
  • wobblebob
    wobblebob Posts: 73
    Never used a gabba but have 3 stolen goat orkaan jerseys, one long sleeve and 2 short and very rarely feel the need to wear anything else with a warm baselayer. Road.cc said it outgabbas the gabba https://road.cc/content/review/144507-s ... ech-jersey. Can get them at wiggle at the moment for £61 for the SS and £78 for the LS
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    That Stolen Goat Orkaan looks really good at £61, if you're a small or an XXL, which is all they have left in stock.

I've got one of these:
    https://www.evanscycles.com/gore-c5-gor ... nt=Dynamic

Which is the same fabric as the Perfetto Light / Alpha rather than the Gabba, but you can use in pretty similar conditions.
    If you've got BC discount, then you can get the one in the link for £63.
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    Sportful Fiandre Cabrio

Almost the same jacket from almost the same company
  • Personally I hate my Stolen Goat Orkaan LS; possibly the worst value piece of cycling clothing I have bought (and that includes a £250 shell that lasted 1/3rd of a ride before being cut off me in the back of an ambulance). Utterly fails to keep out either the wind or the rain.

On the other hand my LS Perfetto is mostly waterproof and totally wind proof, and works much better across a whole range of temps than the Orkaan. Not got much use out of my SS Perfetto as "warm and wet" tends not to happen much in the UK, and if it’s raining I usually want to be wearing a LS top.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • redvision
    Cheers for all the replies.
    Decided to stick with the gabba after all and have ordered a new one