What this called?

paddlersteve
paddlersteve Posts: 7
edited March 2019 in Workshop
I have recent purchased a second hand giant tcr that need a little bit of tlc.

Where the rear brake cable enters the frame, there is a part missing, but I don’t know what it’s called to be able to seek a replacement.

When I can figure out how to post a photo I will, but in the mean time i’ll Have to describe it:

It would be a small plastic or metal boss that the outer cable fits against and the inner cable passes through where the cable is routed through the frame.

What’s it called and any advice as to where i’d Find one?

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Ferrule?
  • The ferrule is the metal bit at the end of the out cable I assume, the bit I mean is the bit the ferrule goes into as it enters the frame.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    That's for the gear cable, not brake.

The thing to work out is if you have a stop at the handlebar end (so where the brake cable goes in on the front of the frame, is it just the inner wire that will fit through the hole, or does the outer go through as well?)

If the outer goes through the hole at the front then you you can just feed outer through the frame, and out the back hole where the stop is missing and it won't affect performance at all, and you can take your time finding the stop/guide that goes over the hole.

If it's just the inner brake wire that goes through then you have a problem, as you need to find the correct stop for the frame, without it your rear brake won't work so we're talking about a safety critical component that no one online should really be recommending for you - although in the short term you could remove the stop at the front and just run outer all the way through the frame.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    TimothyW wrote:
    That's for the gear cable, not brake.

The thing to work out is if you have a stop at the handlebar end (so where the brake cable goes in on the front of the frame, is it just the inner wire that will fit through the hole, or does the outer go through as well?)

If the outer goes through the hole at the front then you you can just feed outer through the frame, and out the back hole where the stop is missing and it won't affect performance at all, and you can take your time finding the stop/guide that goes over the hole.

If it's just the inner brake wire that goes through then you have a problem, as you need to find the correct stop for the frame, without it your rear brake won't work so we're talking about a safety critical component that no one online should really be recommending for you - although in the short term you could remove the stop at the front and just run outer all the way through the frame.

Alternately instead of guessing he could look on the giant spares website link. That’s why I posted it.
  • Thanks for the help, i’m Pretty confident it’s one of these, thanks all!