Dropped bike. Damage to carbon or just lacquer?

2»

Comments

• paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Target did a repair on my Orbea last year, not cheap by any means but did a good job on accident damage by the BB.

Always appears to be busy and an average lead time was 4-6 weeks when mine was fixed.

Forgot to add, if a repair is required he will only want the frame, you will have to strip everything off it.

Yep. Spoke to them this week and was quoted £350+ to get it repaired and painted which does seem a lot. They offer a full 3 colour respray for not much more so I'm going to give that some serious consideration because the matt finish on my bike is a pain.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    With the respray it will be like having a new bike. Well worth doing.
  • paulmon
    cougie wrote:
    With the respray it will be like having a new bike. Well worth doing.

I've been meaning to update this thread for a while but keep forgetting.

So I took the bike to Target Composites in Cheshire in March after discussing a few options with them and decided to go for a full respray. I'd downloaded some images of a late 90s XL EV2 with a black/yellow paint that I really liked so I've asked them to use that as their template. I'm hoping to get the bike back before the end of the month. I'll post some images of the results when I get it.

IMG_20180817_183821.jpg
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Good choice on the paint job! I can't wait to see it.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Oh nice. That will look lovely. I'll look out for the finished product.
  • paulmon
    So I got the bike back today. Two days before I pack it away and go to Gran Canaria for my hols. I'll let the pictures do the talking. To say I am pleased would be an understatement. The folks at Target Composites have been superb throughout and I wouldn't have second thoughts in recommending them.

28849731877_83e32cb75c_h.jpg

48299576347_5aae4be1f2_h.jpg

48299579477_f81dd99978_h.jpg

48299468066_139a5c9f84_h.jpg

48299467206_6efb9374cb_h.jpg

48299579662_43e6bdd432_h.jpg
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    That paint job, absolutely fantastic! Love it.

I would perhaps go for black tape to let the frame do the talking, but its still great.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Have you given it a FAC number? 8)
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    That looks really good, old school modern fusion.

:D
  • paulmon
    Craigus89 wrote:
    That paint job, absolutely fantastic! Love it.

I would perhaps go for black tape to let the frame do the talking, but its still great.
    Cheers! The tape was used to match the colour for the frame so I'll keep it until it gets filthy (which will probably be in a couple of weeks) and then go back to black...

Have you given it a FAC number? 8)
    Ha, ha. I'd like to take 51 because I have so many memories of that place and the constant ringing in my left ear reminds each day that I perhaps spent too much time next to big speakers on the stage.