Trek Emonda SL6 Disc

bianchi_dave
bianchi_dave Posts: 847
edited September 2019 in Your road bikes
Think I'm finally happy with this. Its bike no.2 so will get used in the wet, hence the move to discs. I was also disc curious and have to say I'm well impressed with the ease of braking. A bit of a pain to set up but now no pad rubbing whatsoever. Might still play around with stem and set up.

Emonda.jpg

Frame: Trek Emonda Sl6 Disc
Forks: As above
Bars: Fizik R3
Stem: Zipp Service Course SL -17deg
Headset: FSA
Bar Tape: Bontrager

Front Brake Lever: Ultegra R8020
Front Caliper: same
Rear Brake Lever: same
Rear Caliper: same

Shifters: same
Cables: same
Front Mech: same
Rear Mech: same

Seat: Fizik Antares R1 carbon rail
Seat Post: Bontrager Ridetuned
Seat Post Clamp: as above

Cranks: Ultegra R8000, 170mm
Chainring(s): 52/36
Chain: Ultegra
Cassette: Ultegra 11/28
Pedals: Time RXS Carbon
Bottom Bracket: Shimano PF

Wheels: Handbuilts (weight of 1450g inc rim tape)
Rim: 38mm carbon disc specific rim. tubeless compatible
Spokes: Sapim CX Ray
Hub: Hope RS4 centrelock disc
Tube: Schwalbe
Tire: Scwalbe One clincher 28mm

Accessories: Elite Custom Race Plus bottle cages

Weight: About 7.2kg, after all the upgrades.
Scott Addict RC
Scott Foil Premium
Trek Emonda Disc
Scott Solace 10

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    That's a nice looking bike Dave. The wheels set it off a treat. Did you go with the 38's from Spokesman in the end?
    L2R
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Really nice build congrats.

Could you lose some spacers and get a stem that’s angel is more sympathetic to the line of the top tube? Not trying to be a dick but I just wondered why you’ve gone for the 17 degree stem instead.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Luv2ride wrote:
    That's a nice looking bike Dave. The wheels set it off a treat. Did you go with the 38's from Spokesman in the end?
    L2R
    Yes I did, thanks for the recommendation!
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • TurboTommy wrote:

Could you lose some spacers and get a stem that’s angel is more sympathetic to the line of the top tube? Not trying to be a dick but I just wondered why you’ve gone for the 17 degree stem instead.

Cheers TT and you are a mind reader, that's what I mean about playing around with stem set up. The Zipp SL -17 stem was on my Scott Solace (which is now running the stock Bontrager one) and is a bit lighter. I agree its a bit frankenbike, so next purchase will be a replacement stem. Putting on a -6 or -7 degree would allow for the stem to be clamped lower, and keep the bars at their current height.
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    TurboTommy wrote:

Cheers TT and you are a mind reader, that's what I mean about playing around with stem set up. The Zipp SL -17 stem was on my Scott Solace (which is now running the stock Bontrager one) and is a bit lighter. I agree its a bit frankenbike, so next purchase will be a replacement stem. Putting on a -6 or -7 degree would allow for the stem to be clamped lower, and keep the bars at their current height.

Ah cool that makes sense :). Thanks for the response and congrats again on the build!
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    TurboTommy wrote:
    TurboTommy wrote:

Ah cool that makes sense :). Thanks for the response and congrats again on the build!
    Plus one million
  • ww88
    ww88 Posts: 18
    Perfection! Love these bikes
  • bianchi_dave
    Small update, having finally got the bars dialled in. Been having some back problems so removed the recently fitted slam kit and raised the bars by 10mm. Stem is the original Bontrager which is only 12g heavier than the Zipp one and I was able to use the blendr system with a 3D printed mount for my Bolt so all good. Also upgraded pedals to Time Xpresso10 which came off my Foil. Tan sidewall tyres would look great so that may well be the next purchase when the black tyres wear out. I love this bike, definite keeper :D

thumbnail3.jpg
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Interesting how much better that bike looks without the spacers up/stem down approach. Just looks balanced now (apart from the Mech Hyraulic levers which look HUGE)!
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • bianchi_dave
    4kicks wrote:
    Interesting how much better that bike looks without the spacers up/stem down approach. Just looks balanced now (apart from the Mech Hyraulic levers which look HUGE)!
    Cheers, can't do much about the hoods! They are very comfy though
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • loobster
    loobster Posts: 62
    Looks lovely. I have the same bike and am interested in upgrading the wheels next year. How much weight did the new wheelset save you?
  • Loobster wrote:
    Looks lovely. I have the same bike and am interested in upgrading the wheels next year. How much weight did the new wheelset save you?

Sorry Loobster, just saw this. From memory the stock wheels were about 1900g without tyres/discs. So weight saving with wheels alone was circa 400 - 500g.
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • A couple of updates -

I wanted narrower bars with a shallower drop and manged to get a great CRC deal on Vision Trimax 4D Carbon (0nly 39cm at hoods).

Bar tape is Supacaz. I found the bar end plugs were 28g, versus the Bontrager ones at 5g, so didn't use them. Having saved over 60g in weight with the bars I wasn't going to add back 23g with plugs. Its not a weight weenie bike but I'll always take the opportunity to lighten it where possible!

Schwalbe tyres changed for Vittoria Corsa G2 (still normal clincher). Much easier to fit than the Schwalbes, which were so tight on the tubeless ready rims there was no way I could change a tube or repair a puncture out on the road. I think the bike really suits the tan sidewalls.

Its in danger of becoming my 'go to' bike.

Emonda3.jpg

Emonda2.jpg
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • looks a billion times better with the proper stem and tan walls. top job that man.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.