Does anybody have an ULTRA 520 AF GF or SRAM hydro brakes?

Dark_Eyes
Dark_Eyes Posts: 4
edited March 2019 in Road buying advice
I was thinking of getting a Triban 540 before they disappear, but have just noticed that the 520 AF GF has been reduced, and it looks an interesting bike for the money; SRAM Rival compact, full hydro disc brakes and approx 8.5 kg
I was wondering whether anybody had experience of this bike; and/or SRAM hydro disc brakes - they sound impressive, but having never used/setup discs, let alone full hydros, I was wondering how much of a faff they were?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    I've got 3 sets of Sram HRD brakes, and had another set which I gave to my brother. I've swapped hoses and calipers and internally routed them. Are they a faff? Not really. They're a bit more complex to work on than my MTB brakes, but that's just because the packaging has to be a bit odd due to their position and the shifter functionality. The braking is excellent. You'll likely never have to fiddle about with changing hoses etc, I only did that because I was moving them between bikes which required different hose lengths.

If you do have to bleed them, I'd recommend getting a bleed kit from https://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/ - The kits include everything you need and the instructions are easy to follow. With Rival, you just need the standard Sram bleed kit, no need for the new 'Bleeding Edge' tool.