Saddle Advice

domdom1980
domdom1980 Posts: 79
edited July 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I was looking for some help/advice in regard to my saddle, I know that it is very much an individual choice, but I was hoping for some suggestions to explore.

I have recently got a Giant Tcr advanced 2 which comes with the contact forward saddle as standard. It's OK, but I tend to fall forward on it a bit, and after about 20 miles it starts to get a bit painful on my rear

I only really do 20 up to 75 miles at a time, and not in competition, so full on race saddles are not of interest.

Can anybody throw some suggestions for a more comfortable endurance/sportive aimed saddle? I'm currently eyeing up the fabric scoop shallow pro.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As you suggest, nobody will be able to recommend a quaranteed 'comfortable' saddle for you - because the experience is entirely subjective. You might as well try the Scoop, or indeed any other saddle. Don't dismiss 'race' saddles - they are no more/less comfortable than any other type.

Although if you are 'sliding forward' on your current saddle, it sounds like it is not level..
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Saddle's are so subjective, it's near impossible for me to advise you.
    I also wasn't keen on the Giant Contact saddle and replaced it with a Fizik Alliante which has been great.

Have you had a bike fit? Sliding down the saddle suggests the saddle is positioned wrong.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    it looks feckin ugly on a road bike - but a brooks worked for me - the leather moulds to the shape of your backside - they are more hard wearing and not as expensive as you think.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you're falling forward on it - doesn't need to be angled up a bit ?
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Try Specialized saddles, Romin is a good all-round saddle to test. Too much padding creates issues so I would avoid gel saddles. Measure your sit bones so you can get the correct width (usually +20mm from measurement).
  • marpick
    marpick Posts: 49
    zefs wrote:
    Try Specialized saddles, Romin is a good all-round saddle to test. Too much padding creates issues so I would avoid gel saddles. Measure your sit bones so you can get the correct width (usually +20mm from measurement).

+1 for this, the specialized stock saddle (romin) that came on my roubaix is the most comfortable I have, as above comments it appears your saddle needs levelling? No need to spend a fortune, listen to your butt!
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    If you find a prologo dealer they can measure your sit bones, and according your needs they can suggest you a saddle, that can give you for test drive, as i did with my prologo scratch 2 PAS, and i am very happy with my choice. Still different people different butt, so your best bet is to test before you buy.

Just have in mind that the most important its not the padding, but the size.
  • PRO, Specialized, Fizik....and no doubt others all do trial options of their saddles- Usually 30 day try n return if not happy.

Before you go taking calipers to your butt, remember that what your sit bones actually measure doesn't equate directly to the same saddle measurement...
  • I've just ordered the Fabric Scoop Shallow Pro. Was on a Toupe for a long time. Recently been on a Selle Italia Kit Carbonio Flow but at 132mm I think its finally contributed to some leg pain issues even though its been comfier.

A couple of weeks back I test rode a Revolt for a few hours. Saddle on that was the Contact Neutral/Standard? which didn't feel like it was there.

So I've been all on fairly flat saddles so far, however I'm changing as I'm doing more climbing now and have found these almost-flat saddles could do with a little rearward uplift for support when climbing. The Romin has that also from looking at a side pic.

Chose the Shallow Pro as I read a couple of reviews mentioning it has a little more flex than the next model up. Hope it will be good for all-day rides.
  • Leaa
    Leaa Posts: 5
    The type of saddle you choose depends a lot on your pelvic rotation and width of your hips. Also the comfort is very subjective of course because it is a bicycle saddle. Unfortunately they are not the most comfortable sofa in the world. Due the post is a little old: did you already made a choice? I'm curious :wink:
  • domdom1980
    domdom1980 Posts: 79
    I did in the end, I went with a prologo scratch and have to say I'm really pleased with the choice. It has a decent cut out, and the width suits me really well I actually tried a Fizik for a while but after 1.5 hours I was really numb in places and sore in others!
  • stevenb
    stevenb Posts: 717
    Try and do a sitbone test. I did this many years ago and bought a Specialized Toupe titanium saddle. Been using them ever since. Getting the width correct is good. Also perhaps a bike fit (albeit a partial one) as this may help with the correct fore/aft and angle.