Giant Propel Advanced or Defy Advanced - help needed.

Glenn_23
Glenn_23 Posts: 6
edited March 2019 in Road buying advice
Hello,

(first post so go easy) im in the process of buying a new bike. I’ve narrowed it down to two models The Giant Propel Advanced 2 and the Defy Advanced 2 both are 2018 models with a healthy reduction in the sale.

The issue I’m having is deciding which would be best. There isn’t much between then with the same group set and the Defy has disc brakes. The propel is a more aggressive stance but only by a few millimetres.

I mostly use the bike for weekend rides/ weeknight rides and the occasional 2 day cycling trip so would probably get away with the Defy, however, the Propel looks better and as I’m only in my 30’s I feel like I can still get away with a more racing geometry rather than an endurance.

Am i being ridiculous? Or have a missed something as I really don’t see a massive difference which is making my choice hard.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• TCR not an option? It's nicely positioned between the two and is a cracking bike.
  • Joe Totale wrote:
    TCR not an option? It's nicely positioned between the two and is a cracking bike.

No. It’s between these 2 based on what’s available.
  • oxoman wrote:
    The propel won't be as comfy as the defy, the propel is more a tt or race bike rather than endurance bike like the defy. The TCR is an inbetween bike between the 2. If the defy has full hydraulic brakes I'd be going for that to do what you want it for. PS I am biased towards the defy anyway.

I’ve looked at geometry of both and it’s literallyy Millimetres difference? Would this make much difference on a ride of a few hours?
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 283
    Glenn_23 wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    The propel won't be as comfy as the defy, the propel is more a tt or race bike rather than endurance bike like the defy. The TCR is an inbetween bike between the 2. If the defy has full hydraulic brakes I'd be going for that to do what you want it for. PS I am biased towards the defy anyway.

I’ve looked at geometry of both and it’s literallyy Millimetres difference? Would this make much difference on a ride of a few hours?

In medium the defy has 9mm less of a reach and 14mm more stack than the medium propel. Being in your 30s isn't a guarantee that a racing geometry will fit flexability and body proportions will have a greater say in that.
  • [/quote]In medium the defy has 9mm less of a reach and 14mm more stack than the medium propel. Being in your 30s isn't a guarantee that a racing geometry will fit flexability and body proportions will have a greater say in that.[/quote]

A valid point. As the differences are so small. I think I’ll need to consider if the Defy is worth the £100 more for the discs.

The Propel does look aesthetically pleasing (personal preference) and is cheaper.

Has anyone owned both?
  • get the propel, it looks better, is faster and is comfortable, any bikes "comfort" is altered anyway by the choice of tyres and saddle and set up.

youve got twenty years before you need a bike designed around the need for a paunch to fit between rider and frame.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    in your 30s? Mere slip of a boy. I'm 47 and still ride an aero bike with aggressive geometry.
    I also have a Trek Domane Disc (similar to the Defy) - and I hardly ever ride the Domane, the faster aero bike is just the one that I always pick to ride.
  • w00dster wrote:
    in your 30s? Mere slip of a boy. I'm 47 and still ride an aero bike with aggressive geometry.
    I also have a Trek Domane Disc (similar to the Defy) - and I hardly ever ride the Domane, the faster aero bike is just the one that I always pick to ride.

This ^^^^^

I’m even older and ride a Cervelo S3, love it, even rode it from Lands End to John O’Groats last year. My LBS gave me a Domane disc to use while the S3 was in for service, it was awful in comparison . . .
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    The difference between my Defy Advanced Pro 1 and the TCR Advanced Pro 1 I have recently sold is significant.

Much harsher ride on the TCR - max 25mm tyres (for the year I had). Aeor seat post on TCR is as rigid as they come. D-Fuse much more forgiving on the Defy.

What kind of riding are you going to be doing?

Reasons to buy a Propel:

- Racing
    - Chain Gangs
    - Complete vanity with no thought to how comfortable the bike might be

You seem to be angling towards the latter!
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Yikes Ajkerr, harsh man harsh.
    My Aeroad is comfortable. I've also done lots of long rides (in excess of 150 miles) on a Trek Madone. My average ride is approx. 60 miles and I've never thought I'd much rather be on a more comfortable, upright bike.
    Different strokes for different blokes. But you don't need to race or be vain to ride an aero bike. I'm guilty of both of those though....hmmm you could be right after all!
  • I've owned both the Propel and Currently have Defy adv, the Propel has a more stretched position as the top tube is longer, and not compact geometry, and the aero seat post has very little compliance. Also there choice was a factor as the frame didn't have much clearance in the bhai area and around the brakes. Having said that it was a nice bike to ride and reasonably comfortable for an aero bike.

Personally I prefer the Defy for comfort and adaptability, as it can take a larger tyre, and guards if needed, and the discs are good, although not essential. I had an aluminium Defy before the Propel, and have gone back to a Defy, albeit a CF one this time. Hope it helps.
    Giant Contend SL 2 Disc
    Giant Defy 3 Adv 2018
    "I brake for cake!"
  • Glenn_23, what bike is this going to replace? That will indicate the type of geometry you are used to and as long as you are happy with that perhaps your new bike should be similar?
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • Glenn_23
    Glenn_23 Posts: 6
    Glenn_23, what bike is this going to replace? That will indicate the type of geometry you are used to and as long as you are happy with that perhaps your new bike should be similar?

it will replace a bike a got on a cycle to work scheme from Halfords a couple of years ago. it's done the job to be fair quite light.

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cat ... -15-49576/

Thanks
    Glenn
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Personally I'd have the Propel, not sure what the max tyre width is but for long rides you could always run slightly bigger tyres and raise the stem and it'll be fine. You'll probably be happy with either, so get the one you like the look of most